New member from Duluth, MN (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello from Duluth Minnesota (the palm trees are because I'm visiting family in FL for the holidays)! Glad to be a mud member, been lurking for a few weeks. Just picked up this 1997 LX450. Came with fresh 285 BFG AT KO2s and a full GOBI rack (with ladder). This thing is an absolute unit, I love this car! Previous owner did the PHH but I'm trying to get a maintenance baseline done on this rig. I owned a '94 cruiser before but had to get rid of it because the wiring harness was fried and I simply couldn't afford to fix it. I'm trying to keep something similar from happening to this one.

Recent work-

1. Oil change
2. Front wheel bearings repacked
3. Front pads and rotors

Problems I've noticed-
1. distributor O ring leaks
2. engine "ticks" very loudly upon accelerating above 2k RPM
3. leaking oil on the bottom of my engine- I assume this is the oil pump or pan gasket?
4. Lots of condensation around my power steering reservoir and pressure hoses
5. Noticed some coloration around my harness (see pics)
6. Power windows and hood struts are weak

When I bought the car, it had a CEL and threw a PO401 and a PO115 code but after taking a road trip to Florida with it to visit family it seems to have gone away. The ticking noise upon acceleration still remains.

Bottom line: What other issues should I be looking for with this vehicle? Any common fixes I should just do right away? My main concern is the harness. It's protective sleeve is discolored but there is no holes.

Lx450 side shot.png

Welcome to mud you well find a wealth of knowledge on this forum and people genuine willing to help. Some well also try to talk you in to emptying your wallet. I would start with the basic stuff like flushing the cooling system tune up oil change then drive it and see what else needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
Here is a mud solute worthy of your well sorted intro - :flipoff2:

the only comment you had that raises an eye brow would be that ticking. You are sure it happens on acceleration only above 2k rpm? Could just be an exhaust but those usually show up under acceleration from any speed.

Got pics of the harness?

@baldilocks Here's the best pic I could get of the harness. Notice the slight brown hue to it. It seems to be wrapped in this type of heat insulating fabric but I doubt it's very heat resistant. I'll probably stop by Wit's End and fix the oil leaks in time. Does anyone know of any good trails in the upper Midwest or southern Canada? I live 2 hours from the Ontario border

wiring harness.png

@baldilocks Here's the best pic I could get of the harness. Notice the slight brown hue to it. It seems to be wrapped in this type of heat insulating fabric but I doubt it's very heat resistant. I'll probably stop by Wit's End and fix the oil leaks in time. Does anyone know of any good trails in the upper Midwest or southern Canada? I live 2 hours from the Ontario border

View attachment 2168668
something just doesn't look right could you take another pik from farther back and post it.

Hello and welcome! MN dude here too.

That looks like the OEM style heat wrap to me...similar to my 1997. You could take it off and inspect, replace with new heat wrap.

Here is what my 1997 looks like, I added the gold heat wrap:
gold.PNG

Before heat wrap: (dont mind the red circles)
heater control valve removed.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom