new life of my LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Absolutely not a problem! I like the concept a lot.

done - just waiting for powder coating
IMG_4137.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

I see my relocation kit works just so-so
IMG_4129.jpg

i the meantime tires (235/85/16) landed on the factory rims - it was not easy to install them as those tires are extremely narrow
We test different solutions including inflator (hope it is correct name - special tool that produces huge pressure at once), some other ideas were tested
IMG_3539.jpg

finally we installed 15inch heavy duty tube inside, now i can do 2mpg more than before

IMG_3552.jpg

new 10000lbs winch in the bumper :)

and driver seat installed in passenger place
IMG_4135.jpg

control is still available - not as comfy as it was on the left side o car but still usable
IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

I have to find solution to cover this mess
IMG_4132.jpg

Now will have better control in this seat (lumbar and width of the back) plus there is new high quality nappa leather.

for driver seat I'm waiting for...
IMG_4130.jpg

fantastic rust fixing and work.
Agree with Bolivia Salt Flats and how that sparked your interest- was there recently and pretty awesome - especially all those Land Cruisers (I counted over 100+ at one stage !). Waiting to see the final mods to the DS seat
Should meet up at some stage when we drive over to Poland on a trip : )
PS I have LPG running in mine

long time not reporting progress...

Recaro was a mistake - maybe mine was broken (but looks very good) but I could not find a comfortable position. So decided to install set of BMW E46 M-Paket seats in red leather :) definitely great comfort. In the meantime I dismantled back heater as a potential trouble maker (condition of water lines shows that it was the last moment to do it), so the switch of rear heater is used as the switch for heating in front seats. Lo is for left, Hi for right - not perfect but works without huge cable works and searching for switch.

The only potential issue with M-power seats is - those are not as low as the OEM, so people over 6ft3inch could meet roof pretty often. I am 6ft 2in and it is OK when seat in the lower position.

next change is the small bullbar to hang led bar and allow better access to winch.
IMG_6998.jpg

I've also install couple cameras - but it is still "work in progress"
IMG_9421.jpg

condition of rear brake controller (proportional valve) not ideal
IMG_8773.jpg

so installed Wilwood brake controller, it is hide in the central console (armrest), finally my rear brakes work as should. Still not happy with my brake pads setup (Hawk SD on front and LTS on rear axle), after installing wilwood i feel the rig stops much faster - but SD need some heat to operate - what is not perfect. Together with proportional valve, all brake lines were replaced. Carbotech XP-8 are waiting for replacement but disk and pads are still in good condition (over 50%).

IMG_9350.jpg

after two years with AT 235/85/16 I bought second hand Cooper STT with over 16/32 of tread, those are loud, she burns makes less mile per galon, but in mud to makes a job.

IMG_9427.jpg

IMG_9824.jpg

i lost only front number plate :)
IMG_9846.jpg

and there is a sleeping platform ready to use (195cmx 127cm)
IMG_3317.jpg

frigde
IMG_3323.jpg

it was very important to have possibility to open fridge when in the car
IMG_3324.jpg

and net to divide trunk and passenger area
IMG_3329.jpg

How is the platform attached to the rear seats? Could you post some more pictures of this? I really like this sleeping platform but have struggled finding something similar therefore I'm planning to build my own.

@EP977 platform lies on folded backrest of second row seats. It has small bracket on one end that is fixed to the drawer system in the trunk. Currently drawers are dismantled coz i need third row in the car, but in next 3-4 weeks I will install it again - will prepare photo-documentary for you.
After last Offroad-party my winch stopped working, so I decide to rebuild it and install in my father in law Samuraj (9500lbs is not enough and very slow for over 6000 pounds rig).

thanks to Bill I installed new alternator (replacement of Tundra 150A) + manual throttle, Hope now will be easier to winch in the mud, if not will have to buy Optima battery.

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

and it is time for better sliders :)
IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

Thanks a lot for your comments.

@cruiserpilot no idea what is going on all pictures are on my server located in Poland, usually it is OK but once or twice in the past there was a reported problem by people using some corporate network where list of websites are on the black list (don't know why my personal blog but thats the fact).

@hsoliday - after 15000 miles behind the wheel of I know the magic barrier of 60mph, with roof top tent, snorkel and couple bikes behind above this speed fuel efficiency fall down dramatically (to 12 mpg or even less).

with OEM size tires (street Michelin), no rack on the roof and just 2+2 family in (and some baggage) we did easy an average 16,3mpg on distance of 6700miles - mostly highway and slow offroad trips around Moab
fzj80_-2-of-3.jpg

(now I see I should change language to English - it is time for quick lesson of Polish średnio is average and dzień is day :) )

the first upgrade of my rig was suspension I decided to install OME +2inches heavy duty set (thanks Slee), on the same order I took Front Runner roof rack and some small things like cup holder :), and central diff switch.
IMG_4467.jpg

IMG_4472.jpg

that seems to be a neverending story...(by the way I don't know what is this material - looks like kind of cement - anyone knows? )
IMG_41781.jpg

plus purchased in local AutoZone liquids
IMG_44701.jpg

(finally we do not replace fluid in the transmission and we used oem oil filter)
that's another story about some legends about maintenance of cars in the States and in Europe.
As I see it is common to have much shorter distances between oil change (less than 7k miles) and using standard oil (mineral base), in Europe most of the people decided to choose much longer distances between oil change (up to 15k miles) but using full synthetic oil.
I think does not matter type of oil as much as regular maintenance. Always is better to have enought fresh oil (avarage quality) in engine, than below minimum hiper/sexy 22nd century-ready high grade synthetic oil
I bought as well an universal power steering fluid cooler (dedicated for F150) as the Lexus had something like that (right side of the picture):

chlodnica-ktorej-nie-ma.jpg

orginal cooler is expensive - much more expensive than I expected.
temporary fixed:

fzj80-1.jpg

When we came back to the US exhaust was repaired, Old Man Emu installed and new set of BFG AT 33" so the clearance were more suitable for our destination.
I ask my friend to install trailer hitch because the system used in the US is much more universal than our european fixed ball. Choice of Uhaul hitch was very good, I've just limited offroad capability of the car :(
again we hit the road - this time with my father in law, my dad and our friend.
We were more brave than before with my wife and kids :) So Elephant Hill or Hell's Revenge become to be a goal for this trip.
DSCF3478.jpg

DSCF3436.jpg

DSCF2988.jpg

and short movie from the trip you could find there:

That was an awesome video! Thanks for posting it. We plan to travel out west this spring in Frank DaTank...Check us out on YouTube. Staples Intents.

I did not present my new front seats :)
IMG_0559-2.jpg

IMG_0560-2.jpg

IMG_0562-2.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Seats came from E46 coupe M-paket, very comfortable and sporty, but are taller than OEM - so not for very tall people - I am 187cm and it is just fine.

last week I start in small offroad race - the weather was great :)

IMG_0539-2.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

@EP977 I have reinstalled drawers, and have taken couple pictures:
IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

here you have sleep platform:
IMG_0343.jpg

behind the second row of seats drawer system got this:
IMG_0344-1.jpg

platform is supported in 2/3rd of the length by seats
IMG_0347.jpg

as the front seats are moved max to the front, all luggage are located behind front seats, and work as additional point of support.

dimension of the platform:
length - 76in (193cm)
width - 50/59in (128/150cm) front/rear
distance to the roof - 29,3/27in (745/68,5cm) (rear/front)

and finally install monitor for cameras (F/R)
IMG_0326.jpg

@EP977 I have reinstalled drawers, and have taken couple pictures:
IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

here you have sleep platform:
IMG_0343.jpg

behind the second row of seats drawer system got this:
IMG_0344-1.jpg

platform is supported in 2/3rd of the length by seats
IMG_0347.jpg

as the front seats are moved max to the front, all luggage are located behind front seats, and work as additional point of support.

dimension of the platform:
length - 76in (193cm)
width - 50/59in (128/150cm) front/rear
distance to the roof - 29,3/27in (745/68,5cm) (rear/front)

and finally install monitor for cameras (F/R)
IMG_0326.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I really like that setup. I don't think I've asked yet, what company makes it?

it is made be small local company, I am pretty sure it is not available outside Poland. But it is made as bulletproof as possible - big industrial bearings, solid structure (but heavy - i think it is around 150lbs in total)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom