New intro and a few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Hope it's OK to start a new thread for my intro...

Been wanting a GX470 for many years, finally decided it was time. I didn't want a newer GX460, I don't like the styling and especially hate the rear 3rd row that is built in and a huge PITA to remove. Been looking hard for a few weeks, nothing around me had low enough miles or was in good enough condition to consider (too much rust), so I was casting a big net. Had 2 trucks bought out from under me before I could get there. I especially wanted a non-nav model, which is extremely hard to find.

Started considering a 100-series. Then I discovered that the 200-series actually gets slightly better gas mileage that the 470 engine. Whaaat??? So the hunt was on.

Looked at a couple in New England, both were 2008's, both were extremely rusty. Didn't even bother looking at the KDSS valve, but I did take them for a ride. Whoa that 5.7 is a nice engine! I'm hooked. But they were both beat up, not worth considering.

Had a road trip planned last Thursday to drive to MD to sell my ES350 to a family friend, and pick up a nice IS250C for my wife. Found a nice looking 2008 in PA that wasn't too far off my route, so I contacted the dealer a few days ahead of the trip, they sent me photos of the underside, wasn't perfect but not too bad. Then they emailed me Thursday morning, truck sold the night before. ARGHHH!!!

Got to MD, got an email from AutoTrader that a 2011 was newly listed, but it was at a Land ROver dealership in Wilmington DE. It was kinda out of my price range ($35K), but I kept it on my radar, figured I'd stop to look at it on my way home on Monday (tomorrow).

Saturday (yesterday) was a lousy rainy day, and it turns out the dealer was only 45 mins away from where I'm staying, so I made and appointment to come look at it, my brother tagged along (also a Cruiser lover).

Holy crap is this truck clean underneath. Not SoCal clean, but pretty darned close. The salesman was super nice, he let me bring it into the shop, put it up on the lift, and had one of the techs work with me to check it out. After marveling at how clean it was, I went straight to the KDSS valve. A few squirts of rust penetrant, and a 5mm wrench, both of the infamous plugs popped loose very easily.

IMG_20170513_130302176.jpg

IMG_20170513_130312526.jpg
IMG_20170513_130331928.jpg
IMG_20170513_130339134.jpg
IMG_20170513_130346998.jpg

I couldn't pass this up. Made the deal. They are throwing in 5 new tires, even the spare was bald.

Truck has 106K miles on it. White is not my preferred color, but sacrifices must be made. Apparently this was owned by an older couple that lived in a fancy gated community, always garaged. They traded it on a new Rover. But, the salesman even admitted that he wished his Rovers retained value like a Cruiser.

IMG_20170513_130620617.jpg
IMG_20170513_132034112.jpg
IMG_20170513_132935703.jpg

Truck has every option, I think. Even remote start. So excited! Now I have to figure out how to get it home!

Haha amazing story. Congrats. And welcome.

Nice find. Looks super clean being from the NE. Enjoy!

So I have read every thread I can find, but the first question I have is about tires. Seems like this is an odd size (285/60R18). Not a lot of choices. I think I want to go with the BFG KO2, I have to let them know by tomorrow, they said any tire I want (I have it in writing). I know a lift might be in the future, but not this time. Budget needs to recover before mods. Can I go with something like the BFG in a 285/65R18? What latitude do I have in sizes at stock height? Also considering the Falkens, but I need good snow performance. Michelins are also preferred, maybe the LTX.

Second question: it was a drizzly/rainy day when I took it for a ride. These automatic wipers SUCK!! They start out OK, then go to full on after about a minute, then switch to ludicrous speed. WTF?? What can be done? Is there a way to get simple timed intermittent? The '13 IS that we just bought has them, but they are MUCH better.

285/65r18 KO2's will definitely fit. Check the tire and wheel database in the faq. It's as big as you can go stock and is usually the first "mod" done on a 200. I have them on my Taco and will be mounting them on Rock Warriors when the Nittos on my stock wheels are done. You are correct on the wipers btw, I've gotten used to it though.

Wow, I somehow scrolled right past the tire database link in the FAQ. Reading it now, amazing resource! Thank you!!!

Go with the KO2s, I like them a lot on our truck. Congrats on the LC!

Congrats and good luck!

Funny, last August when I bought my 200- I had to drive up to NY to get mine- couldn't find anything down this way (maryland).

I stopped in at the dealer this morning on my way home, got all the paperwork done, payment, insurance, and put in my request for BFG KO2's, in 285/65R18 size, all 5 tires. I'm taking Amtrak down there on Friday to pick it up. Did I mention I'm excited?

I got stuck in the huge traffic mess from that bus wreck on I-95 this morning, it was quite the yard sale all over the road. Can hardly wait to make that drive again on Friday... :frown:

Another question: is the spare upside down? Shouldn't it in hanging so the valve stem is accessible?

Another question: is the spare upside down? Shouldn't it in hanging so the valve stem is accessible?
I guess you could mount either way but I prefer to protect the face of the wheel by leaving the backside exposed to the road, dirt, gravel, etc...

Valve stem up, or the visible side of the wheel is up in the spare location.

So here I sit in the Boston South Station, waiting to catch a train down to Delaware to bring the Cruiser home. Can't remember ever being this excited about a vehicle. :bounce:

Awesome story! and congrats on your find! IRT to your drive home...if you aren't in a rush you could cut north/northwest over to I78 in PA, I take that route when I go from No.VA to CT to avoid the I95 nightmare and tolls...just a thought.

Just sat down on the Acela, yeah I'll get on the wireless soon with the laptop and start mapping a better route, I will look at that way, thanks. Gonna avoid the whole I-95 mess this time. I just drove that on Monday and it sucked. Plus I had to pay a bunch of tolls to go that way!

Wow the traffic around Philly SUCKS!

Taking back roads now, stopped for a burger. This truck is a beast on the highway, I'm not used to having something happen so quickly when I push on the skinny pedal. The new BFG tires are very smooth and quiet, all I hear is some wind noise, at least when I can get up to a decent speed.

So far I LOVE THIS TRUCK.

Another man who will never be satisfied driving anything else.

Welcome to the disease. Don't worry, it's permanent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom