New here, looking for simple suggestion on recovery kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, noob here. Just picked up a LX570 with a mild build. Has an ARB front bumper with Warn 9.5xp. I'm looking to put together a simple recover kit. I'm figuring in need 2 shackles and a tow strap.
A few questions:
Can a tow strap double as a tree strap if I wrap it around the base of a tree?
How long a strap is recommended for an overall use first purchase? 20ft?
Pricing seems to be all over the place for 30,000lb straps, are they all the same?
What else am I going to want for starting out?
thanks!
Andy

@UCrazyKid at minimum I would get you a bag to organize your recovery gear, then the following.

- pair of leather gloves
- quality 30ft lifting sling
- quality pulley
- 3-4 bow shackles
- x2 6ft bow slings for safeties

I like to purchase my stuff from a rigging supply company. Their stuff will actually have the orange rating tags and will be quality.

I agree with the above 2 suggestions. It's easier to buy a 'kit' that has what you need. If you decide to piece it together yourself, my suggestion is to get good gear & stay away from the cheaper stuff. If you decide to buy a put together kit, go with ARB, Warn kits etc and you can't go wrong. Personally I'd stay away from Smittybuilt and the other lesser brands.

You don't need to go crazy $$ wise...but you do not want low quality, unproven brands when you're in a stressful situation. If there is any place to want an overkill...winching accessories is a good place to have it.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody, good info here. I'll go with an assembled kit from one of the respected brands, learn what else I need or like and go from there!
Cheers!

Be careful when buying straps, all are not created equal. There is a big difference between a "recovery strap" and a snatch or kinetic strap. The recovery strap is generally just a tow strap/winch extension, and is not for snatch recoveries.

We offer a couple of recovery kits, as well as a bunch or recovery gear on its own.

Epic Accessory Kit:
Epic-Backpack-Medium-Duty-N.jpg

•Two forged 3/4" Epic Shackles with E-coat/powder cost finish (for 18,000 lb. winches and under)
•Epic Tree Trunk Protector, including forged end loops with E-coat/powder cost finish (2" x 8'; rated to 14,400 lbs.)
•Epic Snatch Block with E-coat/powder coat finish (for winch capacities of up to 12,000 lbs.)
•Premium Recovery Strap (2" x 30'; rated to 14,400 lbs.)
•Winching Gloves with Kevlar reinforcement and synthetic leather
Warn Industries - Rigging Accessories for Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: Medium-Duty Epic Recovery Kit
$399.99

Medium-Duty Accessory Kit
MediumDutyAccessoryKit.jpg

•20,000 lbs. (9072 kg) maximum capacity snatch block, with grease port.
•2" x 8' (5cm x 2.4m) tree trunk protector, rated to 14,400 lbs. (6531 kg).
•2" x 30' (5cm x 9.1m) standard recovery strap, rated to 14,400 lbs. (6531 kg).
•3/4" (20mm) D-shackles (2x).
•Heavyweight denier carry bag.
•WARN winching gloves (XL).
Warn Industries - Rigging Accessories for Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: Accessory Kit
$179.99

Don't hesitate to message me with any questions you might have (or post here).

- Andy

If you hook your winch up to a stretchy tow strap and something fails. Your winch hook and line will be like a bullet. Even if you have synthetic line. Airheadnut is absolutely right, you need a static short strap that does not stretch for your tree strap.

Duly noted. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom