New head bolts are longer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of having my head on my 82 FJ 60 rebuilt. I ordered new headbolts from Toyotapartsdeal.com . Before I ordered them I checked the parts # with my local dealership. The bolts are about 1/8" longer than the ones I removed . Is this ok ?

I'm in the process of having my head on my 82 FJ 60 rebuilt. I ordered new headbolts from Toyotapartsdeal.com . Before I ordered them I checked the parts # with my local dealership. The bolts are about 1/8" longer than the ones I removed . Is this ok ?
I know there is some bolt people often think is too long and then you just flip it over 180 degrees and it fits. I can't recall if it is the head bolt or not.

I know there is some bolt people often think is too long and then you just flip it over 180 degrees and it fits. I can't recall if it is the head bolt or not.
Not sure what you mean by flipping them 180 degrees . I laid them side by side and lined up the head so they were even on the contact surface and they were definitely longer .

It’s the hub studs I was thinking of. Disregard

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will post up, but...

It looks like all the 2F head bolts (1980 to 1987 FJ60) were the same. The part description even gives the size I think: 13mm diameter with 1.75 mm thread pitch. Length from the bottom of the head to the end of the bolt is 120.5mm. I'm not sure what the "-27" refers to, though.

1677247170168.png

F engine original head bolts are shown a little longer (1.5mm which is 1/16"). The 1.5 F engine has head bolts that are much longer (by 1 1/2") so those won't work. for the F engine parts, the early model year part number superceedes to the part number for the 2F, even though the specification shows a slightly different lenght.

1677247947624.png

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will post up, but...

It looks like all the 2F head bolts (1980 to 1987 FJ60) were the same. The part description even gives the size I think: 13mm diameter with 1.75 mm thread pitch. Length from the bottom of the head to the end of the bolt is 120.5mm. I'm not sure what the "-27" refers to, though.

View attachment 3256881
These are the ones I ordered. I’m the third owner so it’s very possible the head has been pulled before and shorter head bolts were used.

Head bolts should be 120.5 mm.

Just guessing here, but it's possible some previous rebuild/head resurfacing took a lot off the head and the bolts were cut to prevent bottoming out ? POs have done dumber things.

Pictures help. Spend the $20 for a silver subscription.

You might want to check a bunch of those measurements before assembly. Head bolts can be shimmed with a washer, rather than shortened, if head is drastically cut.

If it helps, I used the 9091002050 p/n on my 2F after having the head reconditioned and replacing the head gasket, and it’s been totally fine. I replaced all my head bolts as most of the old ones were pitted. I did not think at the time to check the length against the old bolts, so I’m not much help there.

More important I would think is if you can get the proper torque on the bolts. Remember to ensure the bores are totally clean. Lots of paper towels and brake cleaner. :)

Easiest way to check would be to measure the thickness of the head and then thread the bolts fully into the block and measure what is sticking out - if whats sticking out is less than then head thickness, I'd say your GTG. if not add a washer.

just my .02

The bolt that's tapered near the thread is from an early F engine. The new bolt is the correct one for your 2F, though both will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom