New guy here with a 1991 FJ80

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Oct 5, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
15
Location
Florida
Picked it up recently and figured I’d join since every useful Land Cruiser search seems to end up here anyway.

It’s a one owner (I'm number two) and in pretty great shape.

My plan is simple. Get the maintenance sorted, fix what needs fixing, clean up a few things, and keep it dependable. I’m not trying to build a hardcore crawler.

I’m in the Tampa Bay area.
 
First of all, Welcome to the site.
Second, you seem to be missing a very crucial element - pictures (we like pictures) :)
Third you could put your vehicle details in your signature line and that will keep you from needing to post what year you have when asking questions.

There is an FSM and EWD for your year in the Resources tab and they are free. If doing the baselining you will run into a need for these. There are many knowledgeable people on this board and if you have a question I feel it would be hard pressed not to find someone with prior experience or the know how to get it fixed.

Used to live down in that are many lives ago, I liked it but was never cut out for living in the South.
 
You'd have a long way to drive from Tampa to put a "hardcore crawler" to use. :confused:

That's fine. There are LOT'S of other uses for a Cruiser and ways to enjoy them.

The very very VERY first thing you need to do is decide just what it is that you need your rig to do for you. Just what it is that you want your rig to do for you. Since it will almost always be more than a single simple task that would fill 100% of your uses, take a moment to prioritize the different tasks the rig will face. Prioritize things like money spent, time spent (both initially and down the road), comfort on and off road performance... EVERYTHING.

And be honest with yourself just how much of the rigs use will fall into different categories that demand different priorities.

Most of us have built "trail rigs" that spend more time on the road than off. Most of us have found ourselves pushing their "road queens" down more and more trails. I've got one "Trail Monster" that has been a yard ornament for years now as a newer variant surpassed it and as I cringe every time I look at the (poorly considered)over the top coil spring suspension I was working on under it. And the last one I picked up to be a road queen has all sort of brush striping, dents from stumps hidden in the weeds and "battle scars" from the trails it was never gonna see.

Not saying that either of these are horrible things, but it is always better to go in with your eyes open and an honest appraisal of how the rig will really be used. Cheaper too. ;)

Always remember that anything that you change from OEM will be affecting whatever compromises that the original design team made to reach the final product. Sometimes there are things you can improve on. These will almost always involve some sort of sacrifice of other aspects of the rig. NOT ALWAYS. there are occasions where you can improve with no downside. Few.

If it is gonna be a road bound daily drive for you and the family... there is very little you can do to improve it. Maintain it and enjoy it for what it is. :) If ya wanna make a... swamp monster??? then I wish you luck. ;)

Other than fuel economy an FJ80 has great potential as a serious road tripper. I have been using my primary '80 that way for a while now. Other than Nabesna Road, and the new(ish) road/trail from Tofty to Tanana it has been down every road in Alaska (most repeatedly as I head in to explore new places that I have found) and the Dempster Highway is about the only one of significance left to do in western Canada. There are a few things that can be done to make it more suitable for this type of use and the compromises are few and small.


Mark...
 
You'd have a long way to drive from Tampa to put a "hardcore crawler" to use. :confused:

That's fine. There are LOT'S of other uses for a Cruiser and ways to enjoy them.

The very very VERY first thing you need to do is decide just what it is that you need your rig to do for you. Just what it is that you want your rig to do for you. Since it will almost always be more than a single simple task that would fill 100% of your uses, take a moment to prioritize the different tasks the rig will face. Prioritize things like money spent, time spent (both initially and down the road), comfort on and off road performance... EVERYTHING.

And be honest with yourself just how much of the rigs use will fall into different categories that demand different priorities.

Most of us have built "trail rigs" that spend more time on the road than off. Most of us have found ourselves pushing their "road queens" down more and more trails. I've got one "Trail Monster" that has been a yard ornament for years now as a newer variant surpassed it and as I cringe every time I look at the (poorly considered)over the top coil spring suspension I was working on under it. And the last one I picked up to be a road queen has all sort of brush striping, dents from stumps hidden in the weeds and "battle scars" from the trails it was never gonna see.

Not saying that either of these are horrible things, but it is always better to go in with your eyes open and an honest appraisal of how the rig will really be used. Cheaper too. ;)

Always remember that anything that you change from OEM will be affecting whatever compromises that the original design team made to reach the final product. Sometimes there are things you can improve on. These will almost always involve some sort of sacrifice of other aspects of the rig. NOT ALWAYS. there are occasions where you can improve with no downside. Few.

If it is gonna be a road bound daily drive for you and the family... there is very little you can do to improve it. Maintain it and enjoy it for what it is. :) If ya wanna make a... swamp monster??? then I wish you luck. ;)

Other than fuel economy an FJ80 has great potential as a serious road tripper. I have been using my primary '80 that way for a while now. Other than Nabesna Road, and the new(ish) road/trail from Tofty to Tanana it has been down every road in Alaska (most repeatedly as I head in to explore new places that I have found) and the Dempster Highway is about the only one of significance left to do in western Canada. There are a few things that can be done to make it more suitable for this type of use and the compromises are few and small.


Mark...

We actually have some decent offroading areas here. No rock crawling, but nice trails with technical areas. However, like I stated, I'm not turning this one into a crawler. Swamp Buggies are for Swamp People. Thats not me.

I've built and wheeled Jeeps, Broncos, Blazers, Scouts, Ram Chargers, 4Runners, etc. I've always wanted a Land Cruiser and finally got my hands on one that honestly needs nothing other than some freshening up.

At most I'll put a 2" OME or Dobinsons lift on it, fresh tires, and a few other "quality of life" upgrades.

Trust me, with 28 years of rig building experience I know the direction I'm taking this one. One of the other rigs in my yard can handle the "hard stuff".
 
First of all, Welcome to the site.
Second, you seem to be missing a very crucial element - pictures (we like pictures) :)
Third you could put your vehicle details in your signature line and that will keep you from needing to post what year you have when asking questions.

There is an FSM and EWD for your year in the Resources tab and they are free. If doing the baselining you will run into a need for these. There are many knowledgeable people on this board and if you have a question I feel it would be hard pressed not to find someone with prior experience or the know how to get it fixed.

Used to live down in that are many lives ago, I liked it but was never cut out for living in the South.

I'm not from here. This place sucks. However it is "home" until the kid moves out. Thanks for the welcome and the info.
 
:rofl: My sentiments exactly but I phrased it "I liked it but was never cut out for living in the South" - my parents lived down there and were glad to have me close again but thankfully it was a short turnaround for an assignment and I left before my sanity did.
 
We actually have some decent offroading areas here. No rock crawling, but nice trails with technical areas. However, like I stated, I'm not turning this one into a crawler. Swamp Buggies are for Swamp People. Thats not me.

I've built and wheeled Jeeps, Broncos, Blazers, Scouts, Ram Chargers, 4Runners, etc. I've always wanted a Land Cruiser and finally got my hands on one that honestly needs nothing other than some freshening up.

At most I'll put a 2" OME or Dobinsons lift on it, fresh tires, and a few other "quality of life" upgrades.

Trust me, with 28 years of rig building experience I know the direction I'm taking this one. One of the other rigs in my yard can handle the "hard stuff".
Yep, Lots of ways to enjoy a cruiser without crazy rocks or crazier mud! ;) a certain amount of both can really add to the fun however.

Sounds like you are far from a newbie, even if you have just made it to the Cruiser world. :)

From what I remember about Florida in my "previous life" down there (I spent most of my free time then in hot rods and on beaches and chasing girls) that sounds like a good plan for your Cruiser. Do be careful as to how large you go with tires. That 3FE in front of an auto with OEM gearing is not ever gonna be a powerhouse and it really knows when tire size increases. :confused:

Mark...
 
Last edited:
Picked it up recently and figured I’d join since every useful Land Cruiser search seems to end up here anyway.

It’s a one owner (I'm number two) and in pretty great shape.

My plan is simple. Get the maintenance sorted, fix what needs fixing, clean up a few things, and keep it dependable. I’m not trying to build a hardcore crawler.

I’m in the Tampa Bay area.
Some reading for your enjoyment:
 
Back
Top Bottom