New FJ 60 - Must Haves? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doc said:
Must haves for a 60?

AAA membership.
well damn...glad i've never had to worry about it in my five years with my 60...been all over the country with no probs whatsoever.

FJ60s are among the most durable trucks on the planet, as long as they are maintained. However, New England winters take a toll on the body. Mine is a bit rusty.

I'd say that some tow straps are just as valueable to the 'cruiser driver not only in the rare occasion that one of ours breaks down, but if you find someone on the trail who did.

:beer:

Let's see... I think every mod I have is a must have.

I have a Tuffy center console, with a 12 disc changer inside. Brand new JBLs front and back.
I have my mag light mounted to the side of it.
I have a fire extinguisher mounted to the floor between the console and the shifter.
Everything else has been regular maintenance...

I fixed the leaks (for now), next I'm replacing the shocks, all the bushings, and all the pins and shackles with greasable.

definately a very comprehensive list of mods, but the three most important mods seems to have gone unmentioned:

#1: the "cruiser buddha". if the buddha is rubbed in the appropriate manner prior to travel, the need for AAA is virtually eliminated.

#2: the cruiser mascot. doubles as a theft deterent, but probably not as effective as the aforementioned cobra/mongoose method.

and by far the most important mod..........................

#3: the navigator. although extensively trained in the use of a GPS, he still insists on "sniffing" his way everywhere we go (hence the nose marks all over the front windshield). definately irreplacable. every cruiser should have one.....
buddha.JPG
reaper.JPG
navigator.JPG

Full entertainment system, and a chinese/zen rock garden in the center console. Don't forget the bamboo flooring throughout the truck.

Entertainment system though is a must.

nuclearlemon said:
well damn...glad i've never had to worry about it in my five years with my 60...been all over the country with no probs whatsoever.

Same here! I've had AAA for around 4 years and never used so far.

Doc said:
Must haves for a 60?

AAA membership.

Ha! That's a good one!
Justy bought a F60 '87 with 270k miles though I still gotta get through CA smog it runs fairly well.

AAA a definatly! (got that too!)

swap out all possible fluids with Amsoil Syn stuff. Oil, front and rear diff. do a rad. flush if there is not toy red in there and put toy red in with dist. water. do this now.

I would install new suspension bushings if the originals are shot, new rad hoses, new belts, new front/rear diff fluid, transfer/transmission fluid flush and refill.

These trucks can wheel very well even in stock form.

My next plan for the truck (after I redid the entire suspension with OME parts, new rims/tires, and paint job (rust fix)) is to add sounddeadening in the interior under the carpet/doors/rear 1/4 panels and install some new speakers in the front/rear as the current 5 1/4" units are shot up front.

Mine has been reliable..... but it is still getting broken in! :grinpimp:

One thing to consider is new ring and pinion gears. Lower gears can dramatically change the performance of your 60.

Another upgrade would be an ARB winch bumper or one similiar to it. The ARB's are heavy but durable.

Last edited:
I just bought my first 87 FJ60 or Landcruiser for that matter.I've had an 85 4runner for 14 years and it's a great wheeler.My 60 was set up by the previous owner.It has the springover with fox shox ,tuffy box,SOR Tuff Duck seats,Kaymar rear bumper with spare and high lift jack mounted, dual optima batterys,headers,3" exaust,killer sterio system, ARB bull bar with lights and lots of other things.I had no idea how tricked out this thing was until I compared it with stock 60sAs soon as I got it I sent it out for a complete engine rebuild with all hoses and belts including the radiator.It has 182,000 on it.I was wondering how reliable these are? My 4 runner never left me stranded .I've seen some awesome 60s on this site.The diesel 60 on this post is outrageous.I'de like to hook up with you guys and go wheeling somewhere.Peace,Dave

I will second the fire extingusher

i will agree with the fire extinguisher and also with some nice hella driving lights.

Mechanical strong, first and foremost, like what was said in the previous replies. If you can’t keep it on the road what good does a Bullbar or a lift do you? My 60 only had 48,000 original miles on her when I purchased her 2years ago and since the, I’ve replaced the clutch slave and MC, Brake MC, Transfer case and upgraded to an H55 tranny, Heavy OME kit, plugs, wires and rotor, Demog, and extended the axel breathers. Many other upgrades were done but these were very important to me. She runs so much better after the desmog, but before you think about that; check with state emissions laws. Good luck with her.

Once you figure out what you want to use her for, start with the items that will help you attain your goals. If you want to use her on the trails think about a new Heavy OME kit so down the road when you add the front bumper with winch and the rear bumper with swing arms your suspension can handle the weight. Good set of A/T tires and so one.

That's my $3.50

The first thing i Bought after i got my 60 was a Good Craftsman Socket and Wrench Set (METRIC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom