New Diesel in U.S. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i wounder what the build quality / reliability of these Mahindra s will be like. hopefully this will have a "knock on" effect with other automotive company s.

:wrench:

A small Deere is a Yanmar, or at least used to be. "Nothing runs like a Yanmar."

So.. if a Deere is a Yanmar, and Yanmar is Toyota, does that mean nothing runs like a Toyota?

(The Yanmar 6LP is a Toyota 1HD)

Ergo, the saying rings more true!
"I don't have a slow truck, I have a fast tractor!"

(The Yanmar 6LP is a Toyota 1HD)

Ummm no.
The Yanmar was based on a 1HD in exactly the same way that the HS2.8 was once a landrover 2.25 diesel.

There is a lineage, but good luck finding any part that is interchangable.

Remember Crosslander? It was a bare bones SUV with a good price. They had a diesel in their line-up but did not plan to import it? It was a similar story, we even have a dealer here in town but sadly I don't think they will ever get any vehicles.
Rusty

Crosslander is long gone. The fellow who bought them out was a crook and ran the thing into the ground.

i did some work last year in India and was driven around for a few days in a Mahindra Scorpio. It's clutch pinion bearing shrieked constantly (I had to wear earplugs- seriously) , the doors and windows didn't work very well and the upholstery was ripped up. I asked how old it was (expecting that it had seen hard taxi use for 5 or 6 years) Turns out it was 4 MONTHS old.

I can't say I'm too excited about seeing these trucks over here.
Although I'd love to see more Royal Enfields...

I've got a buddy (lives 3 doors down) whose Scorpio (Mahindra SUV) is about 2 or 3 years old. It looks about as tired as a 1999 4Runner.

That isn't to say it is a lousy truck- but it was clearly built with the assumption that labor is cheap and parts will be replaced/repaired instead of made strong from the beginning.

My chief concern in the US would be parts availability.

For a work truck, this is probably a decent option for many people, but I suspect that the majority of private owners would find the fit n finish very lacking, and the durability to be low.

Having said all of that- the motor is peppy. I would think that if someone could get engines from this company, they would make a great transplant into a Taco or 4runner.

Here's a late model one for sale for about $11,800: crautos.com Autos Usados (NOTE: go to the bottom of the page and in the box named Marca, type in Mahindra. The one I'm referencing is the white double cabin)

The Mahindra fits in the truck market third tier: low purchase cost, doesn't last very long and depreciates quickly.

It is a good candidate for those who need a car for the short term: It's about half the cost of a HZJ79, and while after 2 years the Mahindra has depreciated much more percentage wise, it has lost almost the same re-sale dollar amount as the Toyota truck.

Our road taxes and supplemental insurance are calculated on the purchase price, so the Mahindra has definite appeal for the budget minded.

Personally, while being very budget minded myself, I think they suck. And apparently I'm not alone, since the market valuation of them drops off steeply as they age.

Rick

Ummm no.
The Yanmar was based on a 1HD in exactly the same way that the HS2.8 was once a landrover 2.25 diesel.

There is a lineage, but good luck finding any part that is interchangable.

<peter griffin voice>
Uhhhmmm yah. you want to go stand in that line over there....
</peter griffin voice>

Dude - Chillax. find some comedy in life - it was meant to be funny.

You sound a little biased against these guys. Indian automakers are a major force these days and they're well proven in some pretty tough places.
Bringing their own 2.2 litre commonrail turbo diesel into the US and meeting the necessary emissions standards makes that pretty clear.
The Indians are also stepping nicely into the motorcycle market. Under the Royal Enfield name, they are producing some nice-sounding adventure-type machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom