New Diesel in U.S. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Same company as Mahindra tractor which is a good piece of equipment at a fair price.

Click the link and sign up for a test drive. Showing interest in the truck may help get Toyota off of their arse.

Mahindra

I'd seen these talked about several times. Nearly 2500 pounds payload in the bed?! Thats crazy.

I'd seen these talked about several times. Nearly 2500 pounds payload in the bed?! Thats crazy.

It probably does sound crazy to guys in america who are used to seeing massive pickups. But the rest of the world thinks nothing of putting over a metric ton on a vehicle that size.

No specs on the engine in their website, but a search pulled this up:
Green Car Congress: Mahindra Mahindra Introduces New 2.2L Diesel for Scorpio SUV
87kw and 290Nm.
Not mind blowing but respectable for a working 2.2 diesel. The toyota 1KZ (non intercooled) has similar numbers but is 36% bigger.

I think its a great step forward for diesels and small pick ups here but with the economy in the shape its in, I dont know how successful they'll be.

That looks like a sweet little truck. Maybe they can finally get some more diesels happening over here...

Hi All:

That thing will ride like a ton of bricks when empty with a 1.5 ton rear suspension!

It will be really interesting to see if these vehicles actually make it onto the US market.

Regards,

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It probably does sound crazy to guys in america who are used to seeing massive pickups. But the rest of the world thinks nothing of putting over a metric ton on a vehicle that size.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThePookieBear

Interesting to see they already have 3 plants in the US. The technology was stolen from the old military Jeeps and Nissan Patrols:

The Indian Army used the Nissan Patrol 1952 model under the light truck category. The name as per the Indian army records is Jonga. Under license from Nissan, the Indian government indigenously produced these vehicles, in their Vehicle Factory at Jabalpur. Jonga has been replaced by the lighter Mahindra & Mahindra jeeps. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Patrol

Initially set up to manufacture general-purpose utility vehicles, Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) was first known for assembly of the iconic Jeep in India. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahindra_Jeep

Interesting to see they already have 3 plants in the US. The technology was stolen from the old military Jeeps and Nissan Patrols:

Technology stolen?
I don't see these vehicles having any parts in common with either the old military jeeps or nissan patrols.

Kind of a odd look to it,wonder what it would look like with a 4"lift and some swampers

I am surprised how many people are buying off brand tractors, mahindra being one of them. I think people are very open minded if they get a warranty and can save some money.. I wonder what kind of mpg's it will get and the power that 2.2 will put out.

I am surprised how many people are buying off brand tractors, mahindra being one of them. I think people are very open minded if they get a warranty and can save some money.. I wonder what kind of mpg's it will get and the power that 2.2 will put out.

What's an off brand tractor? About the only small tractor company that makes everything for itself is Kubota. A small Deere is a Yanmar, or at least used to be. "Nothing runs like a Yanmar." I don't know much about the Mahindra tractor other than that the local dealer is good and I have never heard anything bad about quality.

I think you are right though. If Mahindra can put a solid, bare bones truck in or hands then they are set. I didn't do a conversion on HP and torque but MPG looked to be in the 23 range.

Technology stolen?
I don't see these vehicles having any parts in common with either the old military jeeps or nissan patrols.

If you read the two aticles, you would see that this company got its start by building jeeps and patrols. Their current production line may not look anything like the jeeps or patrols but they didn't engineer them from scrap. The company was built on taking the engineering of two other companies and passing it off as their own to the Indian market and then going global. Perhaps they have improved on the patrol / jeep technology - perhaps not.

While in South America, I also saw quite a few Chinese built microvans which looked very similar to what the Japanese companies had on the market. People were buying them up like crazy too. Talking to owners their reason was always price - not quality. It'll be interesting to see if the Chinese and Indians automakers can deliver on quality and safety as well as price.

If you read the two aticles, you would see that this company got its start by building jeeps and patrols. Their current production line may not look anything like the jeeps or patrols but they didn't engineer them from s****. The company was built on taking the engineering of two other companies and passing it off as their own to the Indian market and then going global. Perhaps they have improved on the patrol / jeep technology - perhaps not.

While in South America, I also saw quite a few Chinese built microvans which looked very similar to what the Japanese companies had on the market. People were buying them up like crazy too. Talking to owners their reason was always price - not quality. It'll be interesting to see if the Chinese and Indians automakers can deliver on quality and safety as well as price.

You sound a little biased against these guys. Indian automakers are a major force these days and they're well proven in some pretty tough places.
Bringing their own 2.2 litre commonrail turbo diesel into the US and meeting the necessary emissions standards makes that pretty clear.

Showing interest in the truck may help get Toyota off of their arse.

One can only hope. If Mr. T built something similar, I'd be on it like ugly on ape.

I've been watching for news on these Mahindra's for a while. If the quality is there....might be a nice little platform. :hmm: I really miss the Toy mini truck sized vehicles. The new Tacoma's are just a little too big to suit my purposes. [not to mention IFS]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom