New 80 owner, head gasket, and build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No emmisions testing where I live. You would probably fail sniffer and definitely visual.

No emmisions testing where I live. You would probably fail sniffer and definitely visual.

Curious where you are? I'm in San Antonio...are you anywhere near here?

"2.5 gal Viair tank."...

Did u consider mounting the tank in the old spare tire recess under the back? U moved ur spare to inside the vehicle IIRC.

Also, the rebuild u did on ur steering box - was that seals only (for leaks) or did you do mechanical fixes to help with worn gearing and steering slack as well?

Love keeping up with ur build. Thanks for continued post. Clay

The steering box was just a reseal using the oem kit. I originally was goint to mount a 7gal tank I pulled from an old compressor, but it interfered with the air horns. The smaller tank might fit with the horns, but I wanted to have it first after the York to help catch oil before it goes to the coalescing filter which was easier having the tank closer. I also don't have plans at the moment to run a winch.

Yeah, I seen one with one of those pancake type compressor tanks in the spare location. If u don't plan a winch, ur all good. ;)

IMAG0099.jpg

Finally got around to replacing the steering shaft seal. I have had it sitting in my tool box at work for many months, lol. I also replaced the rag joint since it was only one more bolt. The old rubber was wavy and had a few cracks showing.

I have not posted an update lately so here goes, took these at an off road park in Huntsville, TX about a month ago or so.

I used one of my days off to replace the front rotors and brake pads and repack front wheel bearings.

I have a clunk in the front end somewhere and since the trac bar bushings looked pretty worn, I decided to replace them.

Here are some current pics of how the LC looks.

Today I did the auto up window mod, which was very easy for a nice mod. I had the windshield replaced with a new gasket. I also have replaced some parts not pictured. I replaced the power steering pump after deciding not to reseal it, drivers window motor, the washer diverter valve, the battery with a True Start 27f, oil pressure sending unit, throttle cable, and brake booster hose, all with oem parts(I get a nice discount). I finally purchased a Blue Sea ACR to finish up the dual battery setup so that should be the next update.

I forgot in my last update that I installed a Yellow box speedometer recalibrater. It has been going for a few weeks now and works great. Today I installed a Kenwood dnx5140 that I scored for free. I will install a backup camera also when it gets here. I also finally bought a welder so armor fab should begin soon.

Your rig looks just like mine lol.....I have an axle rebuild and possibly a front and rear main seal fix to deal with too.
Thinking I should take care of the axle first!

Since my last update I installed a new OEM radiator and fan shroud. The radiator was an aftermarket part and was having issues with the trans cooler lines leaking so I tossed it. I also finally installed my Blue Sea acr and wired up the second battery. I used an old set of 4 gauge jumper cables to build battery cables.

I ditched the York oba and bought a 12v Puma air compressor. I fabbed up a Puma compressor mount using the 3rd row seat bracket. I spent about $30 on steel and bolts from Lowe's.

I also replaced my distributor since it was leaking oil from the inner shaft seal.

This was my last oil leak and I would have been completely leak free, but the power steering reservoir started leaking. I have the part already, I just need to replace it.

Did the replacement of your front bushings resolve the clunk? I'm chasing a front end clunk also and thinking bushings could be the culprit.

Did the replacement of your front bushings resolve the clunk? I'm chasing a front end clunk also and thinking bushings could be the culprit.

No. I suspect the noise could be something in the front axle. I have been over everything else and all is good. It has gotten somewhat less intense here recently.

I replaced my wiper switch thinking it would fix my intermittent wiper function. Turns out one of the contacts on the brass plate in the wiper motor was worn. I cleaned the contacts and bent the tabs out for now.

I finally bit the bullet and bought an OME 2.5" lift, I went with medium rear and heavy front for a level stance. I will likely move to the heavy rear after amour and rear drawers.

This is a bad angle, but I got a good 3" of lift over the stock springs with 30/15mm spacers.

I installed a catch can on the pcv line, I fabbed up a small bracket to mount it to the intake manifold.

Here is a current engine pic.

I finally installed a blue sea fuse box, I fabbed up some brackets and mounted it to the sub bracket holes. I ran 4 gauge wire from the second battery.

Here is the Puma installed on the bracket I made that is finally done and painted. I wired the puma to the blue sea fuse box with 8 gauge wire and anderson power pole connectors.

Sway bar and front/rear bump stops spacers made by Hitit66, I will install these soon.

I made some rear sway bar extensions and will install them soon also. I will be making lspv extension soon as well.

Last edited:
Where did you get that oil catch can?

EBay. I wanted a smaller can and that's the only place I could find what I wanted. It's actually well made, but was $89, more than I wanted to pay. It doesn't have as much baffling as I wanted so I added some steel mesh to help condense the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom