“New” 100 Conundrum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Boss Hog

Cutty say he can’t HANG!!
Threads
So. I’m on the hunt for a 100 series. Drive today to take a look at one that’s listed for $9800 on CL. Before driving to go see it, I chat via text with the owner. He drops the price to $7200 “as is” and says he planned to clean and fix the interior (seat tears) and put new tires on it. Hmm…
F72A2634-89C6-494F-90F6-F3C713B45E91.jpeg

I pull up in my FJ60 so he knows I’m not a chump. He puts the key in and it fires right up and it PURRS. Engine bay looked reasonably clean too…
102DA672-403F-4E79-B6E3-B61F1A9ACC9A.jpeg

Yes, it needed tires. But the interior was…shockingly filthy. Front seats had rips, but the rear seats were ok. No 3rd row though…
C8F27099-5E74-4BB2-9FE8-104B3FF916BA.jpeg
0E211226-F8F7-44AC-8128-91375C0FCF84.jpeg
DF7D3A5F-6EA0-4662-B29E-25268EAAFD2D.jpeg

No CEL or any other lights on the dash. A/C, windshield wipers, radio all work as it should.

But my big concern is rust. Specifically the rear hatch. Clear coat is peeling too.
1C21F09B-3DA1-4147-9EF1-BB67B1A1205D.jpeg
A149052E-5E74-4947-A435-EBD7EA0263A1.jpeg
FEA36397-75E9-4E02-B7EA-13BB6CBC187E.jpeg
8A693073-DA20-406E-B3C9-057F9BEB1466.jpeg

Hard pass. If you want a cheap rust bucket go with the sequoia and save some cash

So the only window that works is the driver’s. Sunroof doesn’t open. I’m guessing a fuse(s). No visible leaks I could find. ZERO service records.
By the time I was done crawling over & under it, the price dropped to $6500. Then he texted me saying his wife wants it gone. He’d let it go for $6k.
My mind’s telling me know, but my body! My body’s telling me yesssss…

Yeah guys-I knew the answer. Just needed to hear it “out loud”. Thanks!

Pretty good. Like I said, couldn’t find any evidence of leaks, no rust, drove just fine.
Any pics? It’s gotta be coated in something not to be showing rust if there is body rust like that. That kinda rear hatch rust and rear quarter rust doesn’t happen with a clean underside. That rear quarter goes deep underneath and you’ll find a whole section rotted out is my guess. Had a truck like this and sold it because it was a disaster. Impossible to turn any bolts on.

Pretty good. Like I said, couldn’t find any evidence of leaks, no rust, drove just fine.
If it's just the tailgate rust and nothing else, you could replace the hatch and tailgate. Finding these with clean undersides seems to be getting harder and harder. You'll want a few grand in reserve to update some parts.

2uzs in general run smooth so I'd plan to baseline fluids that don't look clean and set aside the rest for rainy days. A compression check is a good idea.

You might go in at $4k and see what happens? The guy seems to really want to get rid of it which seems suspect.

The headlight has been replaced on th drivers side and the bug deflector is broken there as well, so I'd recommend looking it over for any hidden damage and panels that don't line up.

I'd bet if the underside is pretty much rust free, $5k-ish is a decent target.

The headlight has been replaced on th drivers side and the bug deflector is broken there as well, so I'd recommend looking it over for any hidden damage and panels that don't line up.
I caught that too…and took pics of what I suspected to be some minor fender bender, but big enough to shove the fender into the door so that at one time it scraped. You can see it if you look close at the bottom of the front door.
D6C6DF4C-690F-4EA0-82AD-C08D5BC38247.jpeg

Carfax shows no accidents or airbags deployed reported. Also shows pretty infrequent service records, with 5 owners from Hollywood to Denver with a stay in Aspen. I’ve deduced it will need by my estimation:
Timing belt and water pump
Rotors and pads
Tires
Baseline fluids
And a whole lot more.

I'd bet if the underside is pretty much rust free, $5k-ish is a decent target.
I’d say $4500…but he’ll get more from some college student there. It will sell.

Poor thing…was telling Mrs Hog it reminds me of the story “Black Beauty” I read as a kid. This LC has had a hard life…

Any pics? It’s gotta be coated in something not to be showing rust if there is body rust like that. That kinda rear hatch rust and rear quarter rust doesn’t happen with a clean underside. That rear quarter goes deep underneath and you’ll find a whole section rotted out is my guess. Had a truck like this and sold it because it was a disaster. Impossible to turn any bolts on.
I didn’t take any. I was surprised how relatively clean it was under there. But Carfax shows it started it’s life in Hollywood…then Aspen. I don’t think they use salt or mag chloride there. Then it landed in Denver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom