Need to Replace Winch Drum Due to Rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up an old Warn x8000i for cheap and the drum is pretty rusty. My plan was to hit it with a wire wheel, paint it, and throw some synthetic line on it. There are some serious flakes that need to come off though, which got me wondering if these things ever break on people after getting weakened by rust. Is this safe to use? Would you guys run it?
1B575C00-3CE5-4F48-BA8D-836B03D2630D.jpeg
8F9A3E09-AC18-4B86-BF6C-8765C157580F.jpeg
7DEECF6E-06DA-4B97-AFDB-DC16885E1BBD.jpeg

It's pretty common to see them rusty like that, especially if you live somewhere where road salt is used. It's alright to just clean it up, unless you can poke your finger through it or it's severely compromised.

Take the drum off and have it sandblasted, inside as well and inspect it...most drums are pretty thick but rust can take its toll if deeply pitted.

One could weld a smaller tube inside the drum I.D. for insurance if looks really bad....

Welp, it’s deep enough to come off with a hammer, but I’m leaning towards D0g’s perspective. I’m going to clean it up and see what happens unless seeing these chips change anyone’s mind.

CDBFF7C4-5B8C-4AA0-AE12-4389DB12047E.jpeg

Or instead of removing every bit of rust, just scuff all the loose crap off and paint it with POR-15.

how much is a new drum from Warn?

How hard do you plan on using your winch? It would probably be ok except for that heavy pull where you're buried in deep snow and are risking snapping your winch line as well.

I refurb Warn winches all the time, have 3 on my bench right now, and I have seen drums as bad as that. I have them sandblasted and powder coated and they always come out great. I’d clean it up and run it !

I refurb Warn winches all the time, have 3 on my bench right now, and I have seen drums as bad as that. I have them sandblasted and powder coated and they always come out great. I’d clean it up and run it !
Good to hear! I’m gonna run it, if I ever snap it I’ll be sure to post pictures of the carnage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom