Need to do the rotors, should I just do the front axle service? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan said:
You can get a genuine OEM SST in 54mm WITH a 1/2 inch drive for less than 25 bucks, if you know where to look.........:D

If it says Toyota on it, I want one next order. The one in my trail box from SOR is such a piece of crap I would love to replace.

You can even autoclave it.........:D

Checking for rear pulse using the parking brake won't tell you anything since the parking brake lever activates a pair of drums embedded in the rear rotor. Sounds like serious warpage if you feel the pedal moving, so I suspect rears are the culprit if the fronts are new. Uh, that didn't come out quite so brilliant-sounding. Heh.

DougM

Thanks for the additional info. I was able to get the 2 1/8" socket and adapter at Sears yesterday. It's sturdy and fits nicely. As a bonus, it looks like the opposite end of the socket would be almost perfect for pressing the inner oil seal in place. I was thinking of installing the socket backwards on an 8" extension and using that to press the inner axle oil seal in place. I see some of the online instructions have a custom-made circle bolted to a brass drift, but I don't have the capability to make one of those.

What do you folks suggest for pressing the seal in place? Do you think the reversed-socket would be an effective press tool?

carolina_cruiser said:
What do you folks suggest for pressing the seal in place? Do you think the reversed-socket would be an effective press tool?

Yes. I know it's been mentioned somewhere before, can't really remember where.

But I think thats what most people end up using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom