Need Some Honest Feedback (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi fellow TAC members,

I need some honest feedback and a fresh perspective. I have a 97 40th Anniversary Edition that has 370k on it. I bought it a little over a year and a half ago. So far, I mainly drive it on weekends, but the time is coming when, if I were to keep it, it would need to be pretty much my daily driver. It probably doesn’t make sense to do that, and maybe I need to hear that. But, I sure do like Tinkerbell.

Things have changed since I bought her. 1. I bought a house that needs updating, furniture, etc.; 2. I have upgraded my expectations of what I would like to do with her; and 3. There’s more that needs to be done than I first thought. 4. My son plays travel baseball that only seems to grow in cost and time commitments.

Anyway, I am not particularly mechanically-inclined. I admire how you all just jump in and know what needs to be done and do it. Me, not so much. I thought my blower issue was a resistor. Got it replaced, and I still don’t have a blower that works on anything but high.

What I would like, is to be able to learn from someone hands on. I’m not allergic to getting my hands dirty and doing the work, I just don’t know what work to do. Or, I am happy to do other work in exchange. I don’t have many skills, as I work in an office, but I did work my way through college painting houses, apartment buildings, a factory..... I love doing that stuff. I’m also not too bad at furniture refinishing. The other option that might work, is if someone wanted to earn a little extra money and would be willing to do repairs cheap.

If you think I am crazy and just need to ‘cut bait’, tell me so. I’m too close to it, since she puts a smile on my face for what she represents.

Hopefully these ramblings make some sense. I look forward to any constructive feedback or questions. Thanks for reading. Tim

I feel your pain. Have 3 kids and one in travel ball. Own a fjz80 and 40...bottom line is TLC’s aren’t cheap. Do what you can and farm out the things you can’t. If it weren’t for the club and resources here it would have been difficult, but my rigs fit in the “very important” list of priorities. Good luck!!

There's many of us that are more than willing to help you with whatever issues may arise. If you've ever maintained any older vehicle you quickly come to realize that they can be expensive. I think the big difference with the LC is that is you keep it fairly stock and use OEM or quality parts you'll find that the overall required maintenance isn't that bad, especially if you do your own work.

With 370k on the clock I'd say it's time to start planning to rebuild the motor or to find a donor motor to rebuild on the side and swap in when the time comes. It's much easier to work on outside the truck on your own time schedule, not when it's dead in the truck and mocking you from the driveway.

driving an 80 with the MPG is painful if you are on a budget... add to that how many miles you have, and not knowing the status of head gasket or rebuilt engine, not sure it is the best thing.

Having said that, I daily drive my 97 and have no intention of changing -- but if I drive to Wichita or St. Louis, I am taking another car.

Buy a used Prius as a commuter pod, keep the Land Cruiser as weekend warrior. at 370k you are gambling in traffic unless you stack the deck. at 370,000 miles i would have a spare engine/transmission/tcase sitting there ready to go in. I drive most of my vehicles a lot of miles, and i start paying attention past 275000 and making plans for their failure in being able to keep their part of the commuter needs bargain.

I feel your pain. Have 3 kids and one in travel ball. Own a fjz80 and 40...bottom line is TLC’s aren’t cheap. Do what you can and farm out the things you can’t. If it weren’t for the club and resources here it would have been difficult, but my rigs fit in the “very important” list of priorities. Good luck!!
Thanks. I appreciate it. If it weren't for baseball, I'd have plenty of money! :cool:

There's many of us that are more than willing to help you with whatever issues may arise. If you've ever maintained any older vehicle you quickly come to realize that they can be expensive. I think the big difference with the LC is that is you keep it fairly stock and use OEM or quality parts you'll find that the overall required maintenance isn't that bad, especially if you do your own work.

With 370k on the clock I'd say it's time to start planning to rebuild the motor or to find a donor motor to rebuild on the side and swap in when the time comes. It's much easier to work on outside the truck on your own time schedule, not when it's dead in the truck and mocking you from the driveway.
I appreciate the support, Harley. Mine is completely stock at this point, and since it is 40th, I would like to keep it that way. I hadn't seriously thought about an engine rebuild. I surely don't need my truck mocking me. I've got a teenager for that!

driving an 80 with the MPG is painful if you are on a budget... add to that how many miles you have, and not knowing the status of head gasket or rebuilt engine, not sure it is the best thing.

Having said that, I daily drive my 97 and have no intention of changing -- but if I drive to Wichita or St. Louis, I am taking another car.
Thanks, 2fpower. Not so worried about the gas mileage, as I accepted that when I bought it. The head gasket has been done. I'm sure the engine has not been rebuilt. Mine is more the parts/labor bill to get it to where I'd be comfortable with it as a daily driver regularly. I agree on the longer trips. That's what the Camry is for!

Buy a used Prius as a commuter pod, keep the Land Cruiser as weekend warrior. at 370k you are gambling in traffic unless you stack the deck. at 370,000 miles i would have a spare engine/transmission/tcase sitting there ready to go in. I drive most of my vehicles a lot of miles, and i start paying attention past 275000 and making plans for their failure in being able to keep their part of the commuter needs bargain.
A Prius? Just shoot me now. I love Toyotas and that's all I have driven for about the past 18 years, but I cannot drive a soul-crushing Prius. The Camry is as close as I will come to that! You are probably right on the rebuild. Thanks for the advice!

Just understand, some of these people have been in Toyotas 30+ years. Some have been internationally recognized for their input via TLCA. A Prius is nothing to mock when the driver has completed trails the rest of us dream about. That’s why I drive a hybrid too. And occasionally pedal a bike.
3D6C99A2-43C9-4A87-814F-BED24148EAAD.jpeg

Just understand, some of these people have been in Toyotas 30+ years. Some have been internationally recognized for their input via TLCA. A Prius is nothing to mock when the driver has completed trails the rest of us dream about. That’s why I drive a hybrid too. And occasionally pedal a bike.View attachment 2236321
Agree if taxes and insurance were not part of the equation I’d have several vehicles that are not in my personal arsenal. Logic of yearly cost enters the equation eventually that makes them a wash with unknown expenses, the wild card, more vehicles more wildcards

Just understand, some of these people have been in Toyotas 30+ years. Some have been internationally recognized for their input via TLCA. A Prius is nothing to mock when the driver has completed trails the rest of us dream about. That’s why I drive a hybrid too. And occasionally pedal a bike.View attachment 2236321
No disrespect intended. A Prius is not for me. I’d love to have a Hybrid. I’ve been known to ride a bike as well.... across Iowa in fact. I was merely seeking advice and using you all as a sounding board while I figure out what to do. Heck, for a while I considered converting mine to CNG, but I was told it would be better with a newer motor.

Pretty sure I followed you the other day, in my 40th. Fun to see what a stock vehicle looked like....

One thing @Jax05 is up against is rust.

His is a South Dakota truck and he's starting some holes in various places. He wants to keep it 40th as much as possible, but still DD, not as a cream puff.

But he does need to work toward reliable.

He's very willing to learn, but needs a mentor and tools.

If anyone is going to have a wrenching day, post it up so more can attend and learn.

One thing @Jax05 is up against is rust.

His is a South Dakota truck and he's starting some holes in various places. He wants to keep it 40th as much as possible, but still DD, not as a cream puff.

But he does need to work toward reliable.

He's very willing to learn, but needs a mentor and tools.

If anyone is going to have a wrenching day, post it up so more can attend and learn.
Well said, Mark. I could probably use a wrenching month!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom