Need some help from you SOA 60's out there (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a SOA on my 62 and finished a couple of weeks ago. I did not use OEM springs and some are telling me that it is just right, others say that it is too high. My gut tells me it is probably a tad high but I have nothing to compare it to as I have never had a 60 series before. I am running 37 inch tires.

Could a few of you who have done a SOA on your 60/62 give me your measurements from the top of the tire to the bottom of the wheel well? I just want to get a rough idea of where mine sits compared to a few others out there.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Relax about it for a while first. Your springs are going to sag under the new/increaed stresses of an SOA configuration. Expect to settle a couple of inches after you have a little time/few miles on the new setup. And be prepared for the rear springs to sag badly if they are stock ones. Eventually going "S curved". It is common on SOA '60s.

Mark...

My fenders are chopped, so I can't give you a comparable measurement.

pm me and I can measure at home. Mine is really high so I'd be a good reference for the front. Running chevy 63's in the rear so that won't be directly comparable.

EDIT: 28" front, 27" rear. Measured center of hub to fender.

Last edited:
For some reason, it doesn't look as high in pictures as it does in real life. Anyway, this is how mine sits now with the spare on back. I tested it and even with another 200+ pounds in back it will only go down another half inch maybe. Mine measures 9 inches front and 9 inches back from top of tire to wheel well.

IMG_1594.jpg

You’ll settle a little bit but mine looks to be about the same height. I’m also running Chevy 63’s in the rear so a bit different. Are you running stock 60 series axles? Swag bars? What makes you think you are too high?

It started out with a spring under using OME heavy duty springs. I did the SOA and took a leaf out of the front and rear.

I have not been able to use it at all yet so the only thing I am going on is looks, and sometimes, when it is out off the lift it just looks a little high and I wonder about the stability. That is why I just wanted to see how it compares to the other SOA's out there.

I had stock springs at first (35's) and then had custom springs made in maybe 01 or 02. So a LOONG time ago (we did the SO in '98, I think), but I have 37's on mine and it looks about the same as yours. It may be an inch or so lower, but it's had some time to settle, lol.

Heres mine with gear in the back. Im about 3k miles away from it for the next 3 months so I can't measure it.
I am running OEM springs with an add a leaf overload spring in front and rear packs. Full internal roll cage and weighs in at 7k lbs on a Cat scale ticket.

20191220_164013.jpg

Heres mine with gear in the back. Im about 3k miles away from it for the next 3 months so I can't measure it.
I am running OEM springs with an add a leaf overload spring in front and rear packs. Full internal roll cage and weighs in at 7k lbs on a Cat scale ticket.

View attachment 2202669
This looks very nice! It looks like your front is about my height but your rear is lower. I think that is the difference. When I get mine out on the road it looks like a stink bug and I think that is what I don't like. So maybe I just need to work on lowering the rear a bit. Thank you!
Still looking for comparison measurements from others if possible.

This looks very nice! It looks like your front is about my height but your rear is lower. I think that is the difference. When I get mine out on the road it looks like a stink bug and I think that is what I don't like. So maybe I just need to work on lowering the rear a bit. Thank you!
Still looking for comparison measurements from others if possible.
Heres two better side shots for you unloaded and then one with minimal gear

20171228_094958.jpg

20170523_155722.jpg

I’m running Chevy 63s with an overload in the rear. Center of wheel hub to bottom of fender is 26”.
8A76C010-9E8D-451E-8F77-974D434C0610.jpeg

I ordered these airbags last weekend as I’m 2” lower on the drivers side due to my spare on the drivers side. It’ll also help now that I am packing a 150 pound rooftop tent.
979F35B7-FBC7-4B70-A860-2159D888EDE5.jpeg

I thought I’d try a comparison. I don’t have any pic from the same angle. Beautiful 60
CB02C9B7-08EB-4E59-B1EC-A04A7760C900.jpeg

5CB07BE9-697F-4A46-BE44-BC7D8C2B68D2.jpeg

Looks like my 60

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom