Need some feedback on a kitchen remodel quote (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is what I have:

1940s built duplex. The kitchen has tile flooring, dated cabinets, and terrible laminate countertops.

I started to demo the wall between the kitchen and the dining room and found corroded galvanized water pipes, janky electrical work, and an HVAC air duct. I started looking for an electrician, plumber, etc. and was told one of the neighbors just down the street is a General Contractor so I gave him a call.

He works only in my community and has been renovating these units for 20+ years; he knows them well and told me so many thing I had no clue about.

Long story short, he said he can do everything minus the cost of the cabinets, countertops, and the tile for $10,000. That includes reworking the electrical, running new water lines from the basement all the way up to the kitchen and the upstairs bathroom and dropping the ceiling to hide the new water line (no other way according to him due to concrete floor under the bathroom upstairs). He's also going to replumb gas lines to move the range, install new tile, cabinets, etc. He's also going to add drop lighting in the kitchen.

He said he included material for everything in the $10k quote (again minus cabinets, countertops, and tile).

I talked to his cabinet people and they quoted me $5900 for cabinets. Wood facing and wood doors/drawers, but mdf sides. This seems high, but I have no clue.

I'll attach two photos. One of the layout now and one of the redesign he is basing it on.

I trust he does good work and everybody says great things about him, just wanted confirmation before I pull the trigger. I know costs are different everywhere, but I am clueless as to how much this stuff costs. Moving a water line? Hvac duct? Moving some wires? no idea!

Kitchen is 8.5x10 and dining room is 8.5x10 divided by a wall:

current layout.png

Last edited:
What the other unit did and the cabinets the $5900 would cover

0A177A3E-6B0C-4A8F-A554-1FA4048F4C2C.jpeg

What I am dealing with
21DE0C24-CD0E-44E8-88FD-627ECC6ECDF2.jpeg
F2A266B9-96C5-436D-8201-73E09043EB0C.jpeg

That probably is not a bad price for all that work. Not sure what part of the country you are in though so that could make a difference. I just had my house rewired and replumbed last summer and it was about 8K but I did all the non electrical/pluming work myself.

The price on cabinets however is ridiculous especially considering they aren’t solid wood. I got all my kitchen cabinets from RTA cabinet hub . Com for around 3K and they are solid wood. I had to assemble them myself but if you have a couple of clamps, a stapler, and a drill they are pretty easy to assemble. For counter tops, I went with butcher block from lumber liquidators because it was all we could afford with the money left in the budget. If you want some pics of our kitchen just send me a PM with you phone # and I will text them to you.

Kyle

That probably is not a bad price for all that work. Not sure what part of the country you are in though so that could make a difference. I just had my house rewired and replumbed last summer and it was about 8K but I did all the non electrical/pluming work myself.

The price on cabinets however is ridiculous especially considering they aren’t solid wood. I got all my kitchen cabinets from RTA cabinet hub . Com for around 3K and they are solid wood. I had to assemble them myself but if you have a couple of clamps, a stapler, and a drill they are pretty easy to assemble. For counter tops, I went with butcher block from lumber liquidators because it was all we could afford with the money left in the budget. If you want some pics of our kitchen just send me a PM with you phone # and I will text them to you.

Kyle

Awesome feedback! Thank you. I'm right outside of D.C. so cost wise it's ridiculous here. The cost of living is through the roof and everything is offset by that. I'll pm you my cell and would love to see what you did.

I looked at RTA cabinets and was about to pull the trigger, but I managed to find these locally and I got a contractor discount. Assembled and delivered to my door $3600; they are plywood sides with HDF facing (because I went with white painted, had I gone stained I could go 100% wood). This is what I ended up going with for design:

kitchen.png
kitchen 3.png
kitchen 2.png
kitchen 1.png

Was going to say your cabinte quote seemed really high given the amount of them you have there. On the good side you dont have a ton of counter space so that means less granite costs but hard to work in kitchen..... Never can you have enough prep/cooking space, its like shop lighting or shop space there is just not too much of any of those 3 things

Was going to say your cabinte quote seemed really high given the amount of them you have there. On the good side you dont have a ton of counter space so that means less granite costs but hard to work in kitchen..... Never can you have enough prep/cooking space, its like shop lighting or shop space there is just not too much of any of those 3 things

Sorry, I just saw this. I ended up paying $3500 to my door after taxes for all my cabinets. Soft close, plywood siding, HDF fronts, etc. I'm happy with them.

I'll post up some photos in a few mins.

Looks fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom