Need recommendation on Diagnostic Tester for 1999 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a Diagnostic Tester for 1999 LX470 so that I can read the DTC ?

Thanks

Fliu

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a Diagnostic Tester for 1999 LX470 so that I can read the DTC ?

Thanks

Fliu

What is your Budget and how much information do you want the unit to give you?

OBDll tools run the gamut from the very inexpensive (that basically just read codes) to the more expensive scanners (that can let you monitor real time readouts).

IF you have all/most of your repair work done by a mechanic, then any code reading tool will suffice, just to give you some 'idea' what/where the trouble 'might' be. IF you do a lot of your own troubleshooting, then invest in a moderately priced scanner and learn how to use it.

I'm sure you will get some good suggestions from members here, but do some reading on your own as well. There are a plethora of reader/scanners out there today, some are MUCH better than others.

What is your Budget and how much information do you want the unit to give you?

OBDll tools run the gamut from the very inexpensive (that basically just read codes) to the more expensive scanners (that can let you monitor real time readouts).

IF you have all/most of your repair work done by a mechanic, then any code reading tool will suffice, just to give you some 'idea' what/where the trouble 'might' be. IF you do a lot of your own troubleshooting, then invest in a moderately priced scanner and learn how to use it.

I'm sure you will get some good suggestions from members here, but do some reading on your own as well. There are a plethora of reader/scanners out there today, some are MUCH better than others.

I have the factory repair manual. I plan to do some basic troubleshooting on my own since I live quite far from mechanics. What would be a good moderately priced scanner ? What difference would a lexus diagnosis tester make comparing to a third party scanner ?

Regards

Fliu

If you have a smartphone, I'd look into a Bluetooth ODB2 scanner. They're pretty cheap on amazon. Or (even better), if you have a windows laptop, you can get a Toyota tech stream cable from eBay/Amazon for about $20.00.

If you have a smartphone, I'd look into a Bluetooth ODB2 scanner. They're pretty cheap on amazon. Or (even better), if you have a windows laptop, you can get a Toyota tech stream cable from eBay/Amazon for about $20.00.

Thanks ! How does it compare against Mangoose cable ?

Download techstream and buy the mini jvc cable from ebay or amazon for 20 bucks best thing i have purchased in awhile

^ This is the correct answer. A normal OBDII device will not allow you to see everything a techstream will.

^ This is the correct answer. A normal OBDII device will not allow you to see everything a techstream will.
What product would you recommend for some in depth troubeshooting capability.

Regards
FLiu

What product would you recommend for some in depth troubeshooting capability.

Regards
FLiu

About the only thing that I can think of, that may be potentially better than the cloned cable and bootleg Techstream, would be an official version(s) at a substantially higher cost. You're going to be hard pressed to find a better bang for your buck than the eBay/Amazon Mini-VCI cable and software. The Toyota/Lexus Factory Service Manuals would be helpful as well.

Here's a link to the one I have but I'm pretty sure most of these all come from the same factory. Fangfei Mini VCI Car OBD II Diagnostic OBD2 Scanner to USB Port Scan Tool for Toyota Amazon.com: Fangfei Mini VCI Car OBD II Diagnostic OBD2 Scanner to USB Port Scan Tool for Toyota: Automotive

Thanks for the link, just ordered for my 99LX.
Just got my O2 sensor yesterday and had to go to Pep Boys to ge the code read. Super annoying as they avoided eye contact with myefor almost half an hour before they helped me.
Once I install the O2 will be working on my AHC.

Thanks for the link, just ordered for my 99LX.
Just got my O2 sensor yesterday and had to go to Pep Boys to ge the code read. Super annoying as they avoided eye contact with myefor almost half an hour before they helped me.
Once I install the O2 will be working on my AHC.
I just bought a 99 LX. I am just wondering how difficult to work on this truck on your own ?

I just bought a 99 LX. I am just wondering how difficult to work on this truck on your own ?

Put it this way. Thanks to this forum :clap: between my previous 99 LC and now my LX I have installed a stereo in the LC, back up camera,
changed an Ignitor or two, O2 sensors, Oil pump sender unit, hood and tailgate support struts. Prior to that I had changed the oil on a car once My next steps are the AHC and replacing the door lock actuators.

It depends on your experience. IMO a Toyota is easier to work on than a BMW and a truck is easier to work on than a sports car. That said, electrical gremlins just suck for any make/model!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom