Need radiator mounting advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I swapped out my dad's sbc 400 for a 383 stroker. I'm also upgrading the radiator to a Ron Davis which is specifically made for the FJ40. My father installed a wider radiator so he added 2 extra inches of frame at the bottom of the radiator frame.

I cut out the extra metal he added and I bolted the radiator back on the frame to tack the middle with the extra removed.
The Ron Davis holes match up perfectly on the frame but there is a lot of space between the radiator and frame where the previous radiator sat inside of the mounting frame. Is this how the stock radiator mounted? Is this enough support (6 bolts) for the radiator?
Here is the gap:
There is no support for the front of the radiator.

Thanks

The stk rad is bolted to the rad frame just like in your pic, from the rear. The rad frame should have a cross bar going across the frt of it near were that tab is. The cross bar is hidden by the bib.

Stock radiator support measured 22 1/16" OTO (outside edge to outside edge), with the front brace being about 21 5/8" long.

Your Ron Davis doesn't appear as wide as the stock radiator in my '73.

DSC05784.JPG

I forgot to measure how far down the front brace was but you can get an idea from the photo.

DSC05785.JPG

The bar on the left is mounted to the horn mount bracket on the passenger side and is used as a battery support as I moved my battery further forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom