Need more 20R carb help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I mentioned some problems I'm having in an earlier thread, but figured I'd make a separate thread for help. The 82 4x4 I bought had the original engine replaced with a 20r at some point. It also has the weber carb conversion on it. The truck will crank and stay running, if you stay in the gas. It will not idle, however. I checked all of the vacuum lines and I think they are all good. When you rev the engine, there is a wheezing/whistling sound that tells me I may still have a vacuum issue somewhere. I'll include a couple pics for suggestions, if anyone has advice. Also, thank you to those that have already made suggestions.

The first pic, should the un-plugged opening in the top of the charcoal canister have a hose/line on it, should it be capped off or should I leave it alone.

The second one, the attachment on the top of the valve cover gasket is loose. The line attached to it was clamped tight, but the attachment point itself can be turned and wiggled a little. Normal?

Any further advice helps!
IMG_3180.jpg
IMG_3179.JPG

I think you can go ahead and cap the charcoal canister. The thing on top of your valve cover is the PCV. Replace the gasket and it shouldn’t move as much!

Would the worn gasket affect carb function or idle? Thanks for the continued help.

Would the worn gasket affect carb function or idle? Thanks for the continued help.

It shouldn’t, I ran mine without a gasket and it never affected my idle. Are you still having idle issues?

Yep. My issue is that it won't. Once it cranks, I have to keep the revs up to keep it running.

Yep. My issue is that it won't. Once it cranks, I have to keep the revs up to keep it running.

Did you adjust the carburetor at all?

Yeah. It got a little better once I started adjusting the carb. I am pretty convinced that there is a definite vacuum leak somewhere. Next step is to replace all of the vacuum lines and see if that helps at all.

Did anything happen when you turned the idle screw in all the way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom