Need license plate mount options that don’t involve drilling (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrTorgue

Grizzly Clint
Threads
My GX470 is from a southern state that didn’t have a front plate so no holes or mounts exist. Unfortunately I’m stuck in Texas for at least 2 more years before we move to Idaho so I gotta put on a front plate...ugh.

What are my options for mounting a front license plate that do NOT involve drilling my perfect front bumper?

I’m almost tempted to mount it to the front of my soon-to-be bought luggage rack / basket...

Can you mount a super-strong magnet behind the bumper and slide the plate into a steel-backed license plate holder (as seen on some old domestic cars) and attach it that way? Maybe pad the back of the steel plate?

Or jam your license plate between the windshield and dashboard, facing out, like all the local folks seem to do.

Can you mount a super-strong magnet behind the bumper and slide the plate into a steel-backed license plate holder (as seen on some old domestic cars) and attach it that way? Maybe pad the back of the steel plate?

Not sure if plate theft is a concern where you live, but I know several people that temporarily use Rare Earth Magnets to mount their plates while driving. I'd just put some clear bra on the front of the bumper in the plate area so there are no wear marks created by the magnets.

My GX470 is from a southern state that didn’t have a front plate so no holes or mounts exist. Unfortunately I’m stuck in Texas for at least 2 more years before we move to Idaho so I gotta put on a front plate...ugh.

What are my options for mounting a front license plate that do NOT involve drilling my perfect front bumper?

I’m almost tempted to mount it to the front of my soon-to-be bought luggage rack / basket...

If you have not already been stopped and cited...you may just might want to wait until you are asked to put it on. Actually, mounted on a roof rack may not be legal. Check your states Vehicle Code. As former LE I can tell you that it is not a big deal in CA even though it is in our Vehicle Code. It could be PC (probable cause) for a stop if something seems "hinky" but, at least in CA, you probably won't be stopped just for that. Your jurisdiction may vary. I have had several cars run without front plates for years and never had a problem. Just my $00.02.

Thanks all for the replies. I’ll still mull it over but as @TahoeLX450 said I’ll wait until I get stopped for it. We drive normal and obey traffic code to the best of our ability so I doubt it will be an issue. *knock on wood*

I’m still open for suggestions though!

You most likely won't be stopped, but there is a fine associated if they choose to - $200.

Rule 217.27 of Title 43 Texas Administrative Code provides that passenger vehicles must display two license plates, one at the exterior front and one at the exterior rear of the vehicle that are securely fastened at the exterior front and rear of the vehicle in a horizontal position of not less than 12 inches from the ground.

I believe mounting it to your rack would not constitute the front of the vehicle and may draw undue attention.

Your best solution would be the magnets or maybe something like the below and drill into the bottom of the bumper to mount it instead of the front:

I'm using a cheap plate bracket from autozone. Zip tied it to the grille in the bumper and then screwed the plate to it. Works ok.

20200517_174942.jpg

Thanks all for the replies. I’ll still mull it over but as @TahoeLX450 said I’ll wait until I get stopped for it. We drive normal and obey traffic code to the best of our ability so I doubt it will be an issue. *knock on wood*

I’m still open for suggestions though!

Here in CA, at least when I was LE, we just issued a "fix-it-ticket" and not a citation. So you slapped a plate on or fixed a tail light or loud muffler etc. and took it to a police station/ CHP and had it signed off by a peace officer and if fixed in a given amount of time there was no penalty. It sound like it is different in TX and you could be fined so this is a different consideration.

Here in CA, at least when I was LE, we just issued a "fix-it-ticket" and not a citation. So you slapped a plate on or fixed a tail light or loud muffler etc. and took it to a police station/ CHP and had it signed off by a peace officer and if fixed in a given amount of time there was no penalty. It sound like it is different in TX and you could be fined so this is a different consideration.

Texas is the same way. When I was young I got plenty of fix-it tickets for no front plate. I fought a few and won a couple (funny story I’ll post about it if anyone is interested) and did the “fix” (aka zip tie to the bumper which was promptly removed) on the rest. Had a rare collector car that had no manufactured spot for a plate so I did not want to drill in to the bumper.

I always run front plates being in Texas but before I owned cruisers, there was a few vehicles I had that I didn't want to put on a front plate and didn't.

The only type of cops that did pull me over for it were state patrol which was probably 2 or 3 times over 10 years. Never had a city cop or county sheriff pull me over for it. All of the pull overs resulted in a fix-it ticket btw.

Not putting one on just gives them a reason to pull you over if they are looking for reasons while you think you are following every highway law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom