Need info on Bestop Dualmatic soft top??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yotamotive

SILVER Star
Threads
Recently aquired an old Bestop Dualmatic FJ40 softop. It came with one piece doors and is white in color. It also came with the bows and metal pieces that go around the front doors. That is all I got with it. Im assuming there are other parts missing that might attach the bows to the tub and maybe other parts also. I called Bestop and they were useless and said they had no instructions or parts for a top that old. SO, my question is, does anyone have experience with this top, know what parts Im missing, or have any vintage instructions for this fossel of a soft top. Thanks:)

maybe give a shout to johnnyc, he's able to pull up incredible info on old softtops. any pics?

Aren't they the same as Bestop Tigertop bows?

I don't know, never had a soft top before. I will try to get pics. One would think the jacka$$ at Softop might have know that, he didn't care to help whatsoever.

Aren't they the same as Bestop Tigertop bows?

does it look like this? these are the tigertop bows
untitled.JPG

Bestop Dualmatic is not all that different from newer tops except in windows and were the bows press against the top...around the 70's is when Bestop merged with Dualmatic (short lived merger) and the Bestop/Dualmatic design should be very close in bowwork to the pic above...the bows should be a metal color...not a black powder coated bowwork as i recall...if you already have the door piece as shown in the pic above ....the rest is easily made...the piece on the bottom that mounts to the tub would not have looked like that...newer bestops have adjustment to make the top tighter in the piece just above the M from the ih8mud watermark and adjustment in the bottom of the rear bow just abvove that piece...the older Bestop/Dualmatic had no adjustments AFAIK

I'll see what pics of files i have around...if not i can draw the pieces that you are missing and post them up.

any pics? of the stuff you have?

i think i recall a Bestop Dualmatic not too long ago here on a mudders rig...i can't find the post thou

Last edited:
Wynn's International, Inc. manufactures a variety of different things they bought Dualmatic in the 1970's and then acquired Bestop Manufacturing and merged it with Dualmatic, forming Wynn's Automotive Products, Inc. in 1982. In 1984 the company purchased Starlite Industries, Inc., a manufacturer of automotive seat covers, seat cushions, floor mats, car covers, and other automotive accessories with facilities in Los Angeles and in Fremont, Ohio. Wynn's eventually consolidated the sales, manufacturing, warehousing, and financial administration of the company into its Automotive Products.

1986, Wynn's Automotive Products was sold for $1.7 million. I assume with Dualmatic and Bestop as a part of that deal.

Wynn's International, Inc. manufactures a variety of different things they bought Dualmatic in the 1970's and then acquired Bestop Manufacturing and merged it with Dualmatic, forming Wynn's Automotive Products, Inc. in 1982. In 1984 the company purchased Starlite Industries, Inc., a manufacturer of automotive seat covers, seat cushions, floor mats, car covers, and other automotive accessories with facilities in Los Angeles and in Fremont, Ohio. Wynn's eventually consolidated the sales, manufacturing, warehousing, and financial administration of the company into its Automotive Products.

1986, Wynn's Automotive Products was sold for $1.7 million. I assume with Dualmatic and Bestop as a part of that deal.

you sir are a vat of useless knowledge :cheers:

Thanks everyone for all the great info! Great drawing!! If mine is the same then I am missing the brackets that attaches the bows to the tub, window channel, and snaps. Not sure if the door has snaps, I will have to look. The tub bracket looks easy to make. I will get some pics on Friday and post. Also how are the bows attached to each other along the top? They don’t seem to slide into each other. Thanks
top.jpg

as i remember there is a small piece that has a double male end....maybe 6-8" long (no pun intended) that connects the rear and center bows to each other. in the spot that you have circled

i forgot that door post bar...sorry...was at work and did a rush job :)

the lower bracket that holds the bows is just a cheasy piece of metal, drill the holes and then bend...or any metal fabricator should be able to bend it for like $10 :)

Hi All;
I see that these are some old posts here but maybe there is still someone here that can help.
I have a 66 cj5 that my husband and I bought 6-7 years ago. It came with a brand new never
used Bestop Dualmatic top with doors. Other than a small mouse hole, it is in perfect condition.
There are no bows or brackets but I think I have some of the bars that would make up the door frame.
I would like to find the parts I need, new or used.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom