Need help with rust issues on my 80! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. I just recently purchased an 80 off of a guy for a steal. Came with a 9500 lb. winch and a brand new arb front bumper and a front runner roof rack. It’s only got 180k miles as well. I come asking questions about some rust issues I just recently uncovered. Im not sure if it’s part of the body, or it’s the wheel well. It’s pretty significant but it’s basically the only major rust issues I have with it. The undercarriage has minor rust. I live in upstate New York so I feel like if I just leave it, it could destroy the entire body if left and not dealt with. There’s rust damage on both rear wheel wells to be clear. I’ve never dealt with car restorations or anything and haven’t taken it to a body shop. Trying to do this without breaking the bank. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rust repair and "not breaking the bank" are pretty mutually exclusive. Very hard to tell what you really have there as much of it is covered up. I'd just take it to a willing bodyshop and get an assessment, but give your wallet a warm up if you plan to fix it with them.

Common area. I had to rebuild that area on mine on both sides. No big deal if you got some tools and a welder. There is a few layers of intersecting panels under there which will also be rusted to s***, not just a simple skin.

Check the rear rockers too, I'd wager they are rotted through too. Rear frame probably has a few holes too. If you are not willing to dig into it yourself, the truck is not worth have a shop fix. Run it until it dies.

Being from New York, your "minor rust" is someone else's "burn it to the ground, it's worthless"...so take the answers on here with a grain of salt.

Can you post some more pictures from underneath? Since salt season is just around the corner, you need to get that addressed and put about a gallon of Woolwax or Fluid Film on the rest.

And ditch the running boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom