Need Help Identifying Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sup guys,

Along with a recent purchase of a 73' FJ40 roller, got a "box-o-parts." I am no expert in FJ40 parts, but looks to be two transmissions; one with a t-case and one standalone. Can anyone identify what that standalone unit is just by looking at the pics below?

What transmission is this?
1.jpg

This is the factory 4spd with t-case?
2.jpg

Also, I noticed there is a dent on the front right-side of the support beam...is this how they came or was this hit? Again, sorry for my stupid questions....it's my first FJ40 build.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

1st pic is a 4 speed, most likely an H42
2nd pic is a 3 speed with transfer case
3rd pic is normal, that is where the center arm bolts to,

The one with the T case looks like a three speed I’m not sure about the other one.

1st pic is a 4 speed, most likely an H42
2nd pic is a 3 speed with transfer case
3rd pic is normal, that is where the center arm bolts to,

Awesome! Thank you both!

So, the dent is normal...good to know. I was wondering why it looked crushed in, and not bent all the way through. Thanks again!

The front cross member doesn't look quite right. I think there's a ding circled in red.

cross member_LI.jpg

It's not a big problem, but it's dented. It should look like this:

cross-member1.JPG

Last edited:
I missed the dent, I thought he was referring to how the crossmember is angled then goes vertical where the center arm mounts.

I think it would be pretty difficult to straighten and perhaps not worth the effort. It shouldn't affect anything; it's just cosmetic. You can try pounding on it from the back side, but there isn't much room and I doubt you'll have much affect on it.

That is pretty thick steel there. I am sure something had a hard hit in order to dent like that.

That is pretty thick steel there. I am sure something had a hard hit in order to dent like that.

Is this part visible with the body on the frame? If not, ill leave it as is....if it will be visible, I will try to pound it out as best I can.

Yeah, it's visible. Consider it patina. It's all the rage now. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom