SOLD ND 1991 FJ80 with LS, etc... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
White
Reinforcing the idea that I have automotive ADHD, I’m going to sell my 91 FJ80 and move on to something else. I know it’s a bit of a cliché, but this really was a ‘no expense spared’ build and I have zero expectations of getting all my money out.

I bought it in the spring of 2022 with 161k miles on it. It has 169k miles on it now. About half of those miles are from a trip home from Valley Hybrids and from Fargo to Montana last summer. Here are the big pieces:

169k miles on the chassis
LS1 4L60 transmission. FZJ80 transfer case
This work was done at Proffitts in the winter of 2022/23. Not sure of the miles on the engine, but it runs great​
Full float rear axle, new disc brakes all around, Eaton locker front and rear, new brake booster, rebuild transfer case, etc.
This work was done by Georg (@orangefj45 👋) at Valley Hybrids. Can’t say enough about working with those guys!​
OMEBP51 suspension. No rattles and it rides great!
35” BFG tires on Icon wheels
Full dynamant
Stealth stereo install using Whits End quarter panel board, subwoofer in the quarter panel and one under the drivers seat
Bowfin roof rack, ARB bumper, Rigid lights, new front seat belts
New windshield, new under hood insulation, Equipt seat covers, new window runs, new fuel pump, boxes of misc parts. I have the original rims too (tires are on Ben’s Bronco Project (Project Wrong Way)
Many other small things

Here’s what could use some attention:
  1. The tach would jump around a bit when it was colder this winter. It hasn’t happened in a few weeks. Maybe it’s a ground wire?
  2. No cruise control – there are ways to add it, but I am not technical enough do the necessary wiring so I go without.
  3. There’s a dimple on the hood. It could probably be pulled out?
  4. Under the passenger mirror there is a dark spot. It looks like the paint was worn through, but it also feels like it’s under the clearcoat.
I built it for 2 reasons. Camping with my girls and plowing through the snow. Neither has really happened and I drive it *maybe* once a week to hockey practice. Never when the roads are wet. I just don’t use it very often. I did spray it with Fluid Film this fall, but I have a video PRIOR to the spraying to show that it has zero rust.

IMG_3361.jpg

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_1841 (1).jpg

original seats.JPG

IMG_1980 (2).jpg

Last edited:
We did quite a bit of work on this cruiser and I’ve driven it extensively. It’s been an ABSOLUTE PLEASURE working with the owner/seller. He wanted “everything done right and do not cut any corners”.
This 80 runs and drives extremely well. I wouldn’t hesitate to jump in it and drive it cross country.

GLWS

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Silly question, but just wanted to confirm the back seats are still in the truck? They're out in the radio photo but assuming that's during dynamat install.

Yes. Back seats are in. Third row seats are in storage

About half the miles were put on driving back from Valley Hybrids and on a trip to Glacier. Truck easily did 80 on the highway and my daughter and I slept on a queen size air mattress in the back!
IMG_0967.png

IMG_0966.png

Here’s a picture of the windshield frame when the new glass went in. So clean!

IMG_2899.jpeg

I had polished the paint and ceramic coated it a few years ago. I have no idea what happened prior to my ownership. Seems to be under the clearcoat for sure

Last edited:
I imagine I'm missing something obvious, but what happened to the magic dial in the one shot of the driver side dash?

brand new magic dial installed by @orangefj45

Also new dimmer switch from a Corolla - it’s not faded!. I’m not with the truck but I will see if I have a picture of that part of the dash, left of the steering wheel

Here’s a pic my wife snapped today. The red button is for the rigid lights.

IMG_0878.jpeg

bump!

Last edited:
I was surfing around Wits-End's site. I ordered up some crush washers and this little gadget:

shift lock release.jpg

I don't have a shift lock issue, but this looks pretty cool.

Last edited:
Bump. It seems like Lexus dealers are looking for $10k+ over MSRP for a new GX550 Overtrail, so I likely won't have a replacement for this LS80 until later this summer? If it sells before then I can drive my 2011 Chevy Pimpala :censor:

I've put BaT on hold for the time being. I have time and trip to Glacier Park scheduled in June :bounce:

That truck is beautiful. Perhaps the best move is to keep it. Even put it in storage for a month or so. Then you will see how much you miss it. That is a level of 80 series that very few people can attain.

On the flip side, if you absolutely want to sell it, that is a seriously wise investment for a buyer IMHO.

Thanks! You’re not just saying that because it has the best rack on the market, are you? 🤓

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom