Wanted NC, 4speed transmission. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Engineer8000

CAPE FEAR ELECTRONICS
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I am starting this over since I learned some things from my first attempt.

I am currently running an H55f with a split transfer case behind a 3FE. I want to go back to a more stock configuration with a H42 4 speed, the shorter version without the extension found in the later 60 series trucks.

I would prefer a very good condition 4 speed with a transfer case and parking brake assembly that does not need work. I would prefer not to ship so something in the NC/SC/VA/GA area is preferred so I can pick up.

I can trade my 5speed/split case for it. They are in good condition, all gears are great, new idler shaft bearings in the TC a few years ago. I also have a 40 series cross member and a split case parking brake assembly, not installed. I can also trade the custom length drive shafts. The trans and TC are currently installed in the truck and will be until I get a 4 speed arranged.

Last edited:
I am starting this over since I learned some things from my first attempt.

I am currently running an H55f with a split transfer case behind a 3FE. I want to go back to a more stock configuration with a H42 4 speed, the shorter version without the extension found in the later 60 series trucks.

I would prefer a very good condition 4 speed with a transfer case and parking brake assembly that does not need work. I would prefer not to ship so something in the NC/SC/VA/GA area is preferred so I can pick up.

I can trade my 5speed/split case for it. They are in good condition, all gears are great, new idler shaft bearings in the TC a few years ago. I also have a 40 series cross member and a split case parking brake assembly, not installed. I can also trade the custom length drive shafts. The trans and TC are currently installed in the truck and will be until I get a 4 speed arranged.
Are you just not happy with length of the rear driveshaft? Can't say I've read about anyone going from an H55 back to an H42, just curious why. Folks spend thousands ($5k+) to get the setup you currently have.

So not an H41?

I counseled @Spike Strip about the drawbacks of the H55 over a decade ago.

H42 is THE smoothest. Just had this conversation with @HKforte as well.

Been meaning to call you about those computers for a week now.🤦🏻

Are you just not happy with length of the rear driveshaft? Can't say I've read about anyone going from an H55 back to an H42, just curious why. Folks spend thousands ($5k+) to get the setup you currently have.

I'm fine with the 5 speed, it works great and if you drive on the highway a lot it would be good to have the overdrive. I am working to get this truck back closer to stock. The only thing that would make me think about keeping it is to find a 40 series top plate for the H55F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom