Navigation "System is Initializing" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started seeing this message the other day on the nav screen when putting the vehicle in reverse or using the forward camera. I tried following the reset procedure at

Toyota Land Cruiser: Multi-terrain Monitor - Using other driving systems - When driving

but the message hasn't cleared. Everything seems to work except the yellow lines that appear on the screen that show the vehicle direction. Any ideas? I assume there's some miscommunication between the nav system and the steering position sensor, though the little graphic on the MID shows the direction the front wheels is pointed seems to be working fine. I'd rather avoid the trip and waiting at the dealer if there's another way to clear this.

This is the procedure which didn't clear the message:
  • If the message “System is initializing.” is displayed

index.41.jpg

“System is initializing.” will be displayed on the screen under the following conditions:

• The battery has been reinstalled.
  • The steering wheel has been moved while the battery was being reinstalled.
  • Battery power is low.
  • The steering sensor has been reinstalled.
  • There is a malfunction in the signals being output by the steering sensor.

Initialize the system by performing either of the procedures below:

• Drive for a short period of time while keeping the steering wheel straight.
  • Stop the vehicle, and turn the steering wheel as far as it will go to the left and right. On the system initialization screen, touch the “?” button to display the operating procedure.
If this does not resolve the symptom, have the vehicle inspected by your Toyota dealer.

It happened to me while checking fuses. It re-initalized after driving for a bit. If you have techstream you can pull the code otherwise, if it's not resetting itself you might need to stop by the dealer. Ask nicely and they'll probably hook up Techstream for free and re-initalize.

Thanks. I'll hook up the techstream cable tomorrow and take a look. It's under warranty - it's just the hour round trip to and from the dealer that I'd like to avoid.

Just to be sure, have you checked your battery cables for anything loose?

Mysteriously after a week it seems to have fixed itself today. I parked up on a ~2' snow pile at the mall and left the truck at sort of an odd angle and when I came back it was working fine. The last weird issue was the CDL light flashing, and after rolling in 4Lo for a bit that cleared up and hasn't come back. I'm starting to think that whenever some system is acting up my LC is telling me it's time to go off-road.

[QUOTEI'm starting to think that whenever some system is acting up my LC is telling me it's time to go off-road.[/QUOTE]

That! (She's feeling neglected.)

I changed battery and headlamp. Received the system initializing.

Stop the vehicle, and turn the steering wheel as far as it will go to the left and right.

Fixed the issue.

Thanks @lenuxgod for posting.

Heh, blast from the past. Disconnecting the battery 100% will trigger this. Usually it clears after a trip or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom