Name that tiny black debis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to go see about purchasing a 2011 200-series. 126k miles, listed for $32,500 on carguru. I was excited, until I got there. Noticed an odor which is reminiscent of a wet dog and the below pictures. I have an idea on what it is. What do you all think it is.
IMG_1960.JPG
IMG_1961.JPG
IMG_1962.JPG

Mouse poop.

Yup, I thinking mouse poop too. The dealership (Lexus) seemed to genuinely embarrassed. They talked big about having their master tech go through the truck. Honestly for me to buy, I'd have to be discounted and addition warrantee on paper covering infestation and anything electrical.

Yep, mouse turds. Stay away from it. There will be unseen damage there in places like heating ducts, wiring, and insulation. The smell pretty much never comes out of anything absorbent. Nowadays you also have to worry about Hantavirus from inhaling dust of the droppings and/or urine. Find another vehicle.

Last edited:
+1 for staying away. They won't discount enough to make it worthwhile. Even if they eradicate the little rodent(s), it'll still stink and damage is likely in places you cannot see.

Pull the cabin air filter out...mice like to make nests above it as they can find their way in if you leave your ac damper open (outside air). This is an issue out in the country especially in the winter when they are looking for somewhere warm to nest. Don't ask me how I know ...I will say that I always leave my car parked in recirc mode when I'm at the ranch nowadays ;)

Pull the cabin air filter out...mice like to make nests above it as they can find their way in if you leave your ac damper open (outside air). This is an issue out in the country especially in the winter when they are looking for somewhere warm to nest. Don't ask me how I know ...I will say that I always leave my car parked in recirc mode when I'm at the ranch nowadays ;)
I've never had to deal with this, but if I were to buy it, how much am I looking at to make sure it's 100% rodent free? Off hand, I had planned on pulling the interior down to the metal to inspect/repair unseen damage and clean the carpets.

True... but it's uncommon to find newish 200's under $30. Most around here are in the $40's. $10 grand is a lot to play with.

The 200 of your dreams is but a mere flight away :)
Also true.... but money talks, and I don't have the money for a 2016 VD on 35's with low lift :p

In all seriousness, I have a 2016 Golf I paid cash for and hate. Trading it in to cover down on what I'm able to spend at the moment. A plane ride isn't practical in my case.... that is of course you know of a 200 in the neighborhood of $30k

I looked at picking up a 2010 LX570 this weekend with less miles for less money. It had some light body damage which new bumpers would fix, but the service history also showed rodent damage. Immediately walked away from it. I've heard horror stories of years of issues and over $10k in electrical issues from rodent issues, so IMO it's never worth it to buy one with that potential. Last year there was what looked like a nice 200 lifted and modded at a dealer in Vegas for ~$33k, and it appeared to be about $7k under market value. They dropped the price to $31k then $29k then $27k because the service history showed EXTENSIVE issues including multiple instrument cluster replacements and replaced wiring harnesses from a bunch of rodents living under the hood. I have no idea how much it ended up selling for, but it was probably $15k under market value due to the issues. You are more than welcome to buy it, but if you regret it later don't say we didn't warn you ;)

Looks way too small to be mouse poop.

I'm gonna go with Mediterranean House Gecko.

In my experience, and trust me, I've got a ton of experience battling mice, mice droppings do not smell like a wet dog, but more like old piss.

I could be wrong though. Maybe in your part of the country you don't even have the house geckos!

It's doubtful it's geckos. The truck was a 1-owner Kentucky vehicle and is up for sale currently in Cincinnati where it was traded in.

You are probably right. I get tons of them down here in central Mississippi. Not in my cars (thank God), but mostly in attics and crawl spaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom