Mystery tube (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Relatively new owner here. Soooo, I was driving down a washboard road and felt a clunk, and looking in the rear view I saw my spare rolling into the bushes on the side of the road. So, a quick check that the rest of the truck is ok, and the tire goes into the back of the truck.

I get home and go to grab the spare tool kit, and I notice it's wet. It has been raining lately, but there shouldn't be dampness inside the truck rear quarter panel.

So I reachdown in there and I found a loose hose, about a quarter inch with a rubber hose attached to a Y splitter. See the photo.

There is a clear tube, I assume is the rear sprayer hose that is bundles with the rear wiring, but this loose hose goes under and across the back. So, is this supposed to be hooked to something?

20170402_140537.jpg

Not positive, but that may be your rear sunroof drain tubes. Your wet inside because the hole the tubes supposed to dump the water thru is plugged...... again, just my theory, and I've been wrong before! (A lot according to the !)

Not positive, but that may be your rear sunroof drain tubes. Your wet inside because the hole the tubes supposed to dump the water thru is plugged...... again, just my theory, and I've been wrong before! (A lot according to the !)
Are those the tubes about an inch around? I see those in there. I will check the outlets

Are those the tubes about an inch around? I see those in there. I will check the outlets

Not positive, I believe they are, and they "t" together before discharge out of the quarter panel.

What's up with the little 1/4 inch tube then?

Those are for the rear window washers on the barn door configuration

Not positive, I believe they are, and they "t" together before discharge out of the quarter panel.
So this picture, I don't see a spot where it hooks to the larger tube. It it for something else?

20170402_152048-1.jpg

That may be your locker actuator vent line.

Water in the rear quarter usually comes in through the trim below the sliding window. Pull the trim carefully and put a dab of sealant on each clip then reinstall.

littte tubes....

Those are for the rear window washers on the barn door configuration

The sunroof drain tubes are bigguns. Look under your truck and find one per side. They stick out about 2 inches. Those are the sunroof drains.

Water also gets in past the window. Search quarter window weatherstrip, belt moulding. If that is a problem, likely that it is, you can fix that fairly easily. Just as @mac just wrote.

Still another leak other have found is past the fuel filler tube.

The rear diff, or locker actuator, or both breathers would have been modded to be in the local. It's a good spot for them.

Sorry, I'm stumped without being able to get "hands on". I know the larger tubes (1" */-) are for sunroof drain tubes. Small (1/4") tube is ~most likely~ rear window fluid line.
I wish I could help you out, but these other guys can probably walk you thru it a lot easier than me! Good luck!

You could open the sunroof and pour water into the gutter area and watch it drain down the four corners. Down the tubes.....then see if it makes your truck wet or drains out as it should.
Front 2 drain tubes go into the rocker panel and water comes out some little slits. Finding the slits it easier if they aren't clogged and draining obviously.
Or.... the water doesn't make it that far and gets the carpet wet.
You can also blow air in the drain tubes from the open sunroof. Careful not too much pressure, you don't want to blow any connection apart you can't reach! Start with a little air and then blast it a little bit to clean it out.

Some people prefer weed wacker line. Pushed either up from the bottom or down from the top to clean/un-clog a drain tube.
I don't have a weed wacker so I use air, but go slow before you really blast air through there.

Also, use a hose to flow water on the sliding window and watch inside for the water to leak in. I bet it does.
Mine did that for so long it rusted out the bottom where the water pools.

And to really top it, use the rear washer and check for leaks. I bet it doesn't.

Then, Step #6!

So kinda like an appendix on a human? A vestigial tube...
They are part of the wiring harness, so got pulled through even though not used... think of it as an option to change out your doors

The tube is there for rigs with ambulance doors. On a North American truck with only the liftgate the hose runs up to the hatch, but if you had dual doors it split off around the picture, then ran under the floor to the other side. As @Chris FJ80 said the hose was there as an option for rigs in different markets. Toyota therefore only needed to make one sill harness for the rear of 80s in a bunch of different markets.

The locker vent line is very small (~1/8") black plastic with a small rubber cap on the end. The cap has a cross cut into the top to allow small movement of air but keep particles/moisture out.

littte tubes....

The sunroof drain tubes are bigguns. Look under your truck and find one per side. They stick out about 2 inches. Those are the sunroof drains.

Water also gets in past the window. Search quarter window weatherstrip, belt moulding. If that is a problem, likely that it is, you can fix that fairly easily. Just as @mac just wrote.

Still another leak other have found is past the fuel filler tube.

The rear diff, or locker actuator, or both breathers would have been modded to be in the local. It's a good spot for them.

What he said X2. Your tool kit and jack are getting wet because your sliding side windows weather stripping has shrunk causing your water leak. If you do a search there are a ton of threads on this very problem, as Tedward said, check your gas filler door to body gasket too, because they are known to leak water into your quarter panels also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom