My Truck Tried to Start Itself - Again! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some of you will no doubt remember the first time this happened when I was putting in a stereo three years ago, and then reconnected the battery ground cable, and the truck STARTED and ran in my garage until the shock wore off and I pulled the coil wire. Never figured that one out, but this time was a bit different.

I have a slow battery drain issue that I haven't figured out yet, so what I've done in the interim is to pull the non functioning alarm wire from the + side of the battery, and put a battery disconnect switch in line with the fusible links. Both of these were disconnected as I was filling the power steering reservoir. When done I was going to take a ride to test it, and so as always I first stuck the alarm wire onto the + terminal bolt (to prevent the horn from blaring on startup), and the engine started cranking! Because the disconnect switch wasn't yet connected the truck couldn't start this time, it just cranked for about 5-6 seconds and then stopped.
Both times the keys were in my pocket.

Ummm... Why is this happening to me?

Is the alarm that is installed a remote start model? If so it sounds like the relay pack is somehow getting energized and cranking the car over. Which should not happen. If the remote start was installed correctly, the hood pin (hood opened) will disable the remote start function.

My advice is to remove the alarm completely, chances are the remote start relays are getting power from the ignition harness.

Are you leaning on your keys and pressing the buttons on your remote? I know that when I am just wearing normal jeans and working in the yard I am constantly locking/unlocking my wife's car. I think my keys fold over in my pocket and when I stride forward, lean way forward, or squat really deep it squeezes my key fob and signals her car. Now I leave my keys on the porch when I mow the yard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom