My teardrop (ish) build V1.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to update this.
1. the test "drive" was good, the test "stop" failed. The brakes were barely engaging, even with the override lever pulled. Long story short, the new brakes were actually used damaged brakes. I don't know why I didn't notice this in the beginning when I assembled them. The trailer shop is making good and my new ones should be here by tomorrow.
2. Note to self......test water system before final assembly. Fortunately, I made everything accessible. I just had to unbolt a bunch of panels. I used "push in" water fittings. I use these on all of my builds and I have never had one leak let alone all of them leak. The difference was, these were bought from Home Depo and not my normal place. Terrible quality. I replaced them all with barbed and called it good. no leaks.

That's it for the failures.
I mounted my porch lights. They are solar, led, motion sensing. I saw these on a rig back in December and I liked the way it worked out. I used 2 on the side with my kitchen and one on the other side. They are set up so I can remove them easily and I hope they work well.
My bed/couch foam is suppose to be here soon that will finish the interior and I need to finish my propane tank mount. Unless something else happens, its done and ready for camping. I'll take some more pictures this weekend.

Last edited:
Still waiting on brakes to get here. Got a few more things done. Still need to build propane tank mount and a few small things. If the brakes were here, it would be ready to camp. Got the bed installed, my "chair" platform but need to make/buy a seat cushion. Added more diamond plate to the top front and going to trim it with 1.5 inch striping tape.
Pictures.

inside 1.jpg
inside 2.jpg

Its hard to take a good picture here. The bed is an 8 inch thick memory foam mattress sitting on a 6 inch pedestal. The front of the bed hinges up to access the front hatch storage. Off to the side is my chair base. If I wanted a full bed, I add in a second platform and mattress. In the bottom of the picture you can see my hatch handle.

driver side 10-11.jpg
pass side 10-11.jpg

The sides now have the porch lights added in and my propane tank mocked up where it's going to be mounted. On the front diamond plate you can see where I was playing with masking tape to mimic the striping tape. I realized I didn't do a black lower border in the front. I think that and outlining the top should look good.

Continued below. Can only attach 5 pictures at a time.

Here's the rest

rear closed.jpg
rear open.jpg

Rear Storage. Was playing around with different containers trying to figure out if I have ones that fit or if I have to buy more. On the right upper picture, the bottom two shelves were made to hold my stove, water heater and folding table.

That's it for now.

Did a final test drive of about 50 miles. As far as I can see, it's done. Towed great, backs up great and seems to track inline with my Cruiser. I added a rear facing wireless camera. Its nice to see who/what is right behind you. Towing in the dark brought out something I didn't think of. My outside lights are motion sensitive. As soon as you drive, they turn on. I did make them removable, I will be taking them off while I travel.

Brought it to work today to weigh it. I have a couple sets of corner balance scales we use to help us tune suspensions. Ok its not a track car, its a trailer. What was nice was playing with my airbag pressure to shift weight. As it is, I calculated my weight around 2000# loaded with about 150# tongue weight.
As you can see below, I got pretty close. The only thing missing is food and about 5 gal's more water.
The "LF" is the tongue at 169. LR, RR are 13# difference, I made them even by adding 10 psi more to the right side air bag.
What I didn't do was take a picture with it hooked to the Cruiser. The weight is about the same.

Trailer weight.JPG

All I have left now is go camping. Total time spent, including two months of not working on it due to COVID and parts availability came to 10 months.
I'll upload a picture of it out camping when I go out next.

My next project is going to be, rebuilding my M-100. I'm going to be selling off that and my RTT. I've had the M-100 for decades. It started life as my AAT trailer. We used it to haul gear and load's of rock into our adapt a trail. It got pretty battered. About 15 odd years ago I saw someone put a lid on one and set a RTT on it. I copied that and its worked great . What I should have done was replace the bed on the trailer. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did and I expected to convert it back to a gear hauler.
Rebuild and see where to go from there.

Last edited:
I am a fan of this build. Been a minute since the last post. I would love to see some updated pics (in use, interior). I admit I never took enough pics with mine. Good work all around.

I was just thinking about this. I never realized I hadn't updated the thread once I started using it.
I need to take some pictures of the interior and my storage. I added some wire shelves in storage and a few small pockets in the interior. I miscalculated my spring rate. I will be getting new springs soon. At this stage, I have been taking it out and finding I need to make small changes. I ordered a small usb fan for inside. That will be used on my next trip. My water/propane fittings are poorly placed and need to be moved. When I plug in with my sink or stove, I cant shut the fridge door. I don't know how I didn't see that coming. Moving that isn't hard, I just don't know where to put them.

I have pulled it through some rock piles, ruts, v-notch's, smooth and rough roads. It tracks beautifully. As i mentioned, I need more spring rate and at higher speeds on dirt, it needs a bit more shock. My air bags are making up for my springs but their purpose is load balancing. More tweak's needed.

Here's a few trip pics and one camp pic. I haven't taken very many vehicle trailer pic's. Mostly I just take pictures of what I go explore.

IMG_3174.jpg
Cruiser Trailer DV.jpg
Mengo Pass.jpg
Monache.jpg

I recognize Mengel Pass and what looks like White Mtn Rd. :)

I hate those "oopsie's!".....

The mountain pics are from Monache Meadows, I just got back from there. I haven't gone to Big Bear yet. Covid made that place a zoo. Waiting until it dies down a bit. The forest roots are my biggest pain. Truck bounces over them then you forget and the trailer bounces.

Been all over KA, but have yet to make it into Monache. Was in BB the weekend before Father's Day with ~100 Early Broncos. It was a zoo. It was their 20th year for the event and as I was at the first such event (with the avatar) I felt that I should be there. Only took me 20 years to show up in a Bronco......

Here's a shot of my interior and rear storage. Getting a good interior would mean removing the front. I did the best I could.

Inside, I have a usb chargeable clip fan, velcro strips under the bed to keep everything from sliding out. I had discovered that veclro sticks to the carpet very well. You cant see it but, just inside the door is a first aid kit and a "misc" toiletries bag, stuck to the wall.

The other is a shot of the storage using wire shelving. I set it so the shelves can be moved if needed. I chose these plastic bins because I get a fine powder dust inside and I wanted clear sides. These keep the dust out where my old ones didn't. next I need to get a label maker. The dark area in the right compartment, top left corner is where my cast iron pans are. You cant see them in the shadow.

interior2.jpg
Rear storage.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom