My first FJ40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought my first fj and need some advice on how I should take the new project. I'm thinking of doing a v8 conversion. The orig 1f engine put a rod through the pan. The person I bought it from gave me a new in box advanced adapters v8 kit and wondering how hard they are to do. My overall goal is 35" tires and good flex off-road. Thanks

It's a 72

image.jpeg

Saw this one pop up on craigslist today, you grabbed it quick!!
I was thinking it looked like a great start for someone
I think it's a late 72 making it a 73
Congrats
Another pic

00l0l_gazIYiGA1w6_1200x900.jpg

V-8 for sure. The F motor will cost you a ton more to replace/rebuild. If your not worried about selling it or keeping it all original then the v8 is a perfect choice. Downey can help with all the incidentals.

V-8 for sure. The F motor will cost you a ton more to replace/rebuild. If your not worried about selling it or keeping it all original then the v8 is a perfect choice. Downey can help with all the incidentals.

I am struggling with this right now. All the horror stories about conversions (both cost and quality) and killing resale values contrasted to promises of rainbows and butterflies if only the magickal Chevy V8 were installed.

I am struggling with this right now. All the horror stories about conversions (both cost and quality) and killing resale values contrasted to promises of rainbows and butterflies if only the magickal Chevy V8 were installed.
That is why the answer is not "one size fits all". It depends on your goals. If your primary concern is resale then you definitely want to go with the original motor. there isn't anything magic about a cheap reliable engine with readily available parts. Advance Adapters has been making quality conversions for a long time. Do a good install and the problems will be minor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom