My dang unit's too friggin' short ... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanksgivin' weekend meant I had to work ... and the fellas at Signature Customs didn't.

But back at it now. From the pics I got last night, it's lookin' like the tailgate's inner skin's 'bout wrapped up.

20161129_D_inner skin.jpg

The ridge that he bent into 'er is not only sexy but it adds a whole buncha strength to boot.

20161129_E_inner skin.jpg

And the hole is for access to the LED third brake light we're gonna French-in to the outer skin above the jeep letters. The hole will get a nice cover plate.

20161129_F_inner skin.jpg

With the access hole all cyphered out, the internal bracin' could be completed.

20161129_G_internal bracing.jpg

Still plenty to do on it but progress is rock-solid.

:flamingo:

And to take a break from the tailgate, they wrapped up their part of the work on the rear flares. They finished metal-workin' the welds and stripped off all the paint down to the bare aluminum.

Final mountin' will be done back at TNT Customs so they can flex 'er out and ensure tire clearance.

20161129_A_port stern flare.jpg

20161129_B_stern.jpg

20161129_C_strb stern flare.jpg

Sure nuf makes me look forward to springtime when we gat to shoot some paint on 'er.

So TNT Customs is gonna set up a booth tomorrow down in Denver at the 14th annual Christmas Caravan for Kids and Bob wants the Turd there for some appetizin' eye candy. But she looks kinda funny with all the vise grips holdin' 'er together.

So Bob hijacked 'er right outta the Signature Customs shop and eased 'er back to his own. And the crew made quick work of boltin' on the rear flares.

Here's the tire at full stuff. Nice fit.

20161201_A_tire stuffed.jpg

And then to dress 'er up a bit for the show, they mounted the spare tire and rear bumper.

Check out how ya can see the rearview mirror over the spare tire.

And reverse lights By Gawd! Turd ain't never had no reverse lights since I've owned 'er.

20161201_D_stern.jpg

So the Turd's gettin' rolled into the huge TNT stacker trailer and headin' south to Denver for public appearance #2. Should draw quite a crowd. :cool:

What event?

What event?

Please pay attention in class sir. :bang:

So TNT Customs is gonna set up a booth tomorrow down in Denver at the 14th annual Christmas Caravan for Kids and Bob wants the Turd there for some appetizin' eye candy.

It's a Toys for Tots gig. Turd won't be driven ... just displayed at the TNT booth in the vender section.

Nice stuffage.

Thanks, I think it's pretty cool.

Meanwhile, the tailgate has taken on a life of it's own. I need it strong but it's gotta look good to boot. Hinges were an issue. Just couldn't find anything we thought was gonna meet our needs. So they're makin' 'em.

20161203_A_hinges.jpg

20161203_B_hinges.jpg

20161203_C_hinges.jpg

20161203_D_hinges.jpg

While the tailgate project is draggin' on and on ... and rackin' up an insane labor bill ... I just wanted to drive the damned thang while I'm home.

So I had them seal up and paint the new floorboard so I wouldn't have no rust on the bare, exposed metal.

20161208_A_paint floor.jpg

And then we chunked the spare back in 'er.

And I drove 'er straight to the bar ... :beer:

20161209_Outlaw.jpg

One of the young uns that wheeled with us a long time ago drove through there the other day on his way to Alaska. He's a Blackhawk choper pilot now and just got stationed there. Wish I would've known you were in town and they could've had a beer or three with you. Heep is looking good.

Or better yet ... gone for a snow ride yesterday.

Locals call it "snow bashing". Fella that breaks the trail needs big tires and lots of ponies. Others can then follow along much easier. Ain't never done such a thang but I gotta admit screamin' thru the woods at 6000 rpm with four 40's slingin' snow has it's appeal.

But the most satisfyin' part of the day for me was actually the ride back home. We ended up puttin' in 'bout 200 road miles and cruisin' home at 80 mph on I-80 with one hand on the wheel sure nuf had me grinnin' ear to ear.

Not a bad day for Wyomin' weather neither. Temps got all the way up to 40 and the wind speed was all the way down to 30.

20161210_1.jpg

20161210_2.jpg

20161210_5.jpg

20161210_6.jpg

Youre going to have learn how to upload videos.

Course mize well climb some rocks too.

Cuz they're there ... and cuz I can.

20161212_1.jpg

20161212_2.jpg

20161212_3.jpg

Prob'ly the last time on these roads for awhile. Reckon by the time I come home again, they'll be closed for the season due to the snow.

Short ride home was fun in itself.

Reckon when we redo the dash and gauges, we're gonna have to get a speedo with bigger numbers. :grinpimp:

20161212_speedometer.jpg

by gawd sir Keep you eyes on the road, we know you like the hi rev and speed but careful taking pix and driving at 100mph kinds of scary tho':hillbilly:

So the Turd went back into the friendly confines of Signature Customs streetrod shop for a final push to finish the tailgate so I can close up the back. Gettin' right chilly in Wyomin' these days.

Here's the slot where the LED third brakelight will be frenched in ...

20161221_A_outer skin.jpg

And the custom made hinges bein' fitted ...

20161221_B_closed.jpg

Next are the custom fabbed brackets to accommodate fact'ry CJ tailgate cables. The ones on the tailgate are inserted into the frame and welded on both sides. The ones on the jeep are on a doubler plate for strength. Check out the shoulder on 'em for the cable ends to swivel free on.

20161222_A_cable attachments.jpg

20161222_B_upper mounts.jpg

20161222_C_uppers in place.jpg

Hinges and brackets are designed so that the tailgate can re removed in seconds with no tools. Cool stuff.

The latch to hold 'er shut was interestin'. Told 'em couldn't have nothin' on the outside of the tailgate. Gotta be mechanical ... no more remote electrical crap. And has to be opened from outside the jeep to accommodate the rear glass hatch.

So here's the mock-up of the standard claw latch. It'll be released from a rod in the fender well. Brilliant.

20161222_D_latch mock up.jpg

So they got the cables and latch all done.

20161223_A_strb cable.jpg

20161223_B_port cable_1.jpg

20161223_C_port cable_2.jpg

And the owner of the shop bravely tests out the strength of his work ...

20161223_D_weight test.jpg

And the pic we all been waitin' on ...

20161224_E_outer skin.jpg

So 'bout all that's left is to finish out some welds, install the brakelight, and spray it with an epoxy primer so it don't rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom