My 1UZFE build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let me get one while their value is still questionable :rofl:

But in all seriousness have no idea if it would be easier (or possible) to modify the marine ecu or just rework the stock auto computer.
From my research it looks like it’s not incredibly difficult to wire up the stock ecu when using a manual trans.

I’m going the JDM motor route, place in North Jersey has them for $700 with everything
There are guys rewiring the stock ECU, it can be done. I will PM you when I hear about mine

There are guys rewiring the stock ECU, it can be done. I will PM you when I hear about mine
Lextreme has a pretty vast amount of info, i’m sure you already know that though.
Did the marine ECUs come with your motor or were they a separate source? I’ll stop filling up your thread now lol

DSC_0170.JPG

Headers came yesterday. Like most headers all the holes had to be redrilled to fit over the studs. Not the best layout (unequal runners) but must be better than the logs toyota puts into the SC400. Now that they fit they will go out to be ground flat (headers never are)

DSC_0171.JPG

Stainless exhaust pipe , mandrel bends, v/band clamps

DSC_0173.JPG

Stainless is better tig welded so I thought I should start practicing. Bought this from a car guy that never used it. Syncrowave 200 , I have a cooler and WC torch

If you don't want those welds to corrode, start reading up on running a purge line inside the pipe to remove the oxygen during welding. Otherwise, you'll have sugaring and resulting corrosion/cracking on stainless. Either use a tee fitting for the CGA580 tank fitting, or get a dual flow meter and run the second line into the pipe with one end blocked and slitted with tape, ect...study up on it .
Also, get some stainless and practice first - it is not the easiest thing to weld and setting the tig properly for it is key. You must keep the heat input down as low as possible. Good gas lens or one of Mike Furick's #14 cups would be a good place to start.

Sarge

If you don't want those welds to corrode, start reading up on running a purge line inside the pipe to remove the oxygen during welding. Otherwise, you'll have sugaring and resulting corrosion/cracking on stainless. Either use a tee fitting for the CGA580 tank fitting, or get a dual flow meter and run the second line into the pipe with one end blocked and slitted with tape, ect...study up on it .
Also, get some stainless and practice first - it is not the easiest thing to weld and setting the tig properly for it is key. You must keep the heat input down as low as possible. Good gas lens or one of Mike Furick's #14 cups would be a good place to start.

Sarge
Thanks , how about backfeeding with my MIG tank Ar/CO2?

I wouldn't use a mixed gas for purging SS. Use straight argon. And Sarge is right, heat input is key. Most of the time the best way to contact heat input is to run hot enough to puddle the metal quickly and weld fast. If your heat is too low you'll have to hang out longer and end up pouring a lot more heat into your part.

I wouldn't use a mixed gas for purging SS. Use straight argon. And Sarge is right, heat input is key. Most of the time the best way to contact heat input is to run hot enough to puddle the metal quickly and weld fast. If your heat is too low you'll have to hang out longer and end up pouring a lot more heat into your part.
I will buy some scrap and practice first

I will buy some scrap and practice first

I bought some SS exhaust tubing like I going to use and cut 1 1/2" pieces off and butt welded them together for practice.

Sure, my son coated his TJ floor with bedliner and installed a set of Procar seats. As for the FJ40 , no it's still winter here.

I hear ya, got some nice days this week at least! Are you running power steering on the UZ

Subscribed. How is the progress? Is the oil pan a front sump or rear sump? I'm doing a frame off restoration of my father's 40 and I started thinking 1UZ/5 speed. Curious to watch your progress.

@447xpro Any new updates on your 1UZ build? The ECU discussion and how to get proper engine management without the auto trans is what I am interested in. Thanks for any insight you can share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom