My 100 came without a tow hitch. What should I do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody.... so I recently picked up my hundy over the summer knowing that it didn't come with a factory tow hitch, but I didn't really have an immediate need for towing at the time, so it didn't matter. Now I have a need for towing, so I need to add a hitch. It has all of the wiring for a hitch, but that's all.
Has anybody added an aftermarket tow hitch, or have any ideas of where to look/what the best kind is? Also, I have kicked around the idea of adding some armor in the front and rear down the road, but money is tight right now, so that's a bit of a far off dream at the moment, but I still would like to keep that as an option... Any ideas would help!

Hit up a wrecking yard for a used OEM hitch, wire wheel it, re-spray and live happily.

I tried to post a link to my direct search, but Tapatalk is being oppositional this morning.

Car-part.com will assist you in finding one at a local wrecker.

Check classifieds and craigslist. I found one on Craigslist near my house for less than $100.

I purchased a Reese reciever from amazon about six months ago. If I remember correctly it was about 130.00.
It was easy to install,but I did not wire it for lights as it will be used for small items like bikes and camping gear.

Buy a hitch from any shop. It is easy to install. It's actually a good news story: You know that your 100 wasn't used to tow, so it wasn't under much stress (transmission & suspension) in it's former life! I'm sure you will pull something heavy to introduce it to it's life as a work-horse!

My '07 did not come with a hitch either but the wiring was all there, even the plug. Strange for Toyota to go to the trouble to include the wiring and the plug but no hitch. Either way I bought a hitch from e-trailer.com. They have a good selection and have quick shipping.

IF you plan to off road at all I would recommend the Curt brand hitch as it sits up higher than the other aftermarket hitches do. The hundy tends to drag it's rear off road easily so any height you can gain is beneficial.

I don't have any up close shots of the Curt hitch but you can at least see in pic below how it sits up next to the bumper nice and tight. I was able to fit a 275/70r18 spare under the truck with it as well. It's TIGHT but it fits.

Road Trip.11.jpg

My '07 did not come with a hitch either but the wiring was all there, even the plug. Strange for Toyota to go to the trouble to include the wiring and the plug but no hitch. Either way I bought a hitch from e-trailer.com. They have a good selection and have quick shipping.

IF you plan to off road at all I would recommend the Curt brand hitch as it sits up higher than the other aftermarket hitches do. The hundy tends to drag it's rear off road easily so any height you can gain is beneficial.

I don't have any up close shots of the Curt hitch but you can at least see in pic below how it sits up next to the bumper nice and tight. I was able to fit a 275/70r18 spare under the truck with it as well. It's TIGHT but it fits.

Thanks for all the info! Your setup looks pretty similar to mine with the tire size and all, so that is very helpful! I checked out the site and looked at the Curt brand hitch. It has that odd looking square cut out on the right side. Does yours have that too? I'm guessing that's for the exhaust to stick through since it rides higher?
Beautiful looking truck btw.

View attachment 1154571

Thanks for all the info! Your setup looks pretty similar to mine with the tire size and all, so that is very helpful! I checked out the site and looked at the Curt brand hitch. It has that odd looking square cut out on the right side. Does yours have that too? I'm guessing that's for the exhaust to stick through since it rides higher?
Beautiful looking truck btw.
Woops, double posted. :doh:

It has that odd looking square cut out on the right side. Does yours have that too? I'm guessing that's for the exhaust to stick through since it rides higher?

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the square is just the support piece that goes around the exhaust. As a side benefit it does act as a nice litte skid plate for the tailpipe ; )

Last edited:
I'd take you up on that offer! Where are you located?
Well if Derek0177 does not want it (I did ofer it to him) it is totally yours. I am in Corona Ca. shipping to Hou-Tx will be way less than buying one??? so if you pay for shipping and give me an address. Your not in a rush for it are you? I need some time.

FWIW my Curt hitch is coming off next week as a Slee rear bumper is going on. I can't let it go for free but I will give a fellow Mud member a good deal if anyone wants it.

OP - sorry to hijack your thread.

You're welcome to have mine - I'm in western Michigan. Free to a mud member. PM if you're interested.

Last edited:
Curt hitch from e-trailer was incredibly easy to install. Pulled a 19' Sea Ray Boat with it for a few years, now just the occasional bike.

^ Keep an eye on the classifieds, they pop up every now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom