Multiple trigger wires for auxiliary backup lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I have a set of auxiliary reverse lights and I'm trying to figure out how to have them work:
  1. When manually switched on or off with my Switchpros 9100 whether the ignition is on or not (I want to use it as scene lights when setting up the camper)
  2. When I put the vehicle into reverse with the shifter (I want it to supplement reverse lighting)
I have #1 wired up now, and it works great.

I think that it should be possible to make #2 work if I add a wire from the trailer plug harness (center pin, yellow wire, pin 4 Q1 connector) to also trigger the aux lights.

If I read it right, I could simply connect both power wires to the aux light power wire, with a 1N4004 rectifier inline in each of the trigger wires. That would prevent back-feeding power. Putting the vehicle in reverse or triggering it with the Switchpros would independently turn them on.

BUT, here's the twist ... I also want the ability to turn the auxiliary lights off when I am in reverse gear (in case it is too bright/blinding).

Is there a good way to do this?

There's several ways to skin this cat.

For the twist, I assume you want a separate switch mechanism to turn off the light when in reverse gear? And I'm assuming since you have a nice switchpros, you'll want to use a button there designated as reverse scene light cancel.

You can install a relay inline after the power/diodes, on the positive or ground wire of the scene light. This could be activated by said reverse scene light cancel button. So the relay is normally on (continuity). The scene cancel light button would switch the relay to off.
I'd actually switch the logic such that the scene light only comes on with reverse, when this "enable scene light with reverse button" is on.

Alternatively, I'm not completely familiar with the switchpro, but have read a few things as I'm interested in it for my setup (albeit darn pricey)...

- The switchpro has some limited relay SPDT and SP3T functions built in that maybe usable for the relay function I described above.

- I believe it has an external trigger function? Can you use reverse input as an external trigger to turn on the scene light? Thereby you can cancel the augmented scene light but clicking the same scene light on button?

I have a set of auxiliary reverse lights and I'm trying to figure out how to have them work:
  1. When manually switched on or off with my Switchpros 9100 whether the ignition is on or not (I want to use it as scene lights when setting up the camper)
  2. When I put the vehicle into reverse with the shifter (I want it to supplement reverse lighting)
I have #1 wired up now, and it works great.

I think that it should be possible to make #2 work if I add a wire from the trailer plug harness (center pin, yellow wire, pin 4 Q1 connector) to also trigger the aux lights.

If I read it right, I could simply connect both power wires to the aux light power wire, with a 1N4004 rectifier inline in each of the trigger wires. That would prevent back-feeding power. Putting the vehicle in reverse or triggering it with the Switchpros would independently turn them on.

BUT, here's the twist ... I also want the ability to turn the auxiliary lights off when I am in reverse gear (in case it is too bright/blinding).

Is there a good way to do this?
Sure, you can put a relay back at the trailer wiring with Reverse as the power wire into it, and run the signal to that from your SPOD as "Reverse Off". Set the relay as NC as default and Open when the SPOD "Reverse Off" is on. Put it after the trailer connector and you effectively can turn off the trailer side of the circuit.

There's several ways to skin this cat.

For the twist, I assume you want a separate switch mechanism to turn off the light when in reverse gear? And I'm assuming since you have a nice switchpros, you'll want to use a button there designated as reverse scene light cancel.

You can install a relay inline after the power/diodes, on the positive or ground wire of the scene light. This could be activated by said reverse scene light cancel button. So the relay is normally on (continuity). The scene cancel light button would switch the relay to off.
I'd actually switch the logic such that the scene light only comes on with reverse, when this "enable scene light with reverse button" is on.

Alternatively, I'm not completely familiar with the switchpro, but have read a few things as I'm interested in it for my setup (albeit darn pricey)...

- The switchpro has some limited relay SPDT and SP3T functions built in that maybe usable for the relay function I described above.

- I believe it has an external trigger function? Can you use reverse input as an external trigger to turn on the scene light? Thereby you can cancel the augmented scene light but clicking the same scene light on button?
Yes! Thanks.

I think the last part may be the trick - have two Switches on the switchpro for those aux lights:

1) set up for for switched scene lighting that is always powered whenever the aux battery has juice - if switched on, the scene lights come on, if switched off the scene lights go off (normally off)
2) for the aux reverse light cutout - have it set up as ignition switched, normally closed (on), and triggered (on the pink signal wire into the Switch-Pros). So in default mode, if the ignition is running, and the vehicle is in reverse gear, the lights are on. If I switch off the switch on the Switch-Pros, it turns it off.

I'd still need the diodes on the power lines, to prevent back feed.

Anyone know of a handy trigger wire for reverse at the front of the rig? Fuse in the fuse box maybe?

Just add a wire from your trailer harness to your aux lights. I did this for my rear aux lights.
I think this would get me 2/3 of the way. I would prefer to have a way to turn off the aux reverse lights, to avoid blinding people.

I'd still need the diodes on the power lines, to prevent back feed.

I'd recommend against the diodes. First, they cause a voltage drop and while negligible, isn't desirable and second, you introduce another possible point of failure in your circuit. The diodes you referenced are 1A diodes and will probably go off like popcorn.

Anyone know of a handy trigger wire for reverse at the front of the rig? Fuse in the fuse box maybe?

I don't believe you'll find the back up signal anywhere under hood. The fuse block will only have the ignition fuse that provides power to the back up switch at the transmission. From the transmission, it goes to the tail lights and trailer harness.

This is what I would do which will give you the function you desire with a standard automotive relay, but not the wiring convenience unfortunately.

Back Up Lights.jpg

Last edited:
There probably is a backup signal wire behind the multi-function display to trigger the reverse cam.

The jury is still out whether you'll need a diode to prevent backfeed. The switchpros prob won't care if its backfed. Perhaps the other leg may want one.

Look into diodes for solar arrays. Common and cheap, and can handle much more current.

That seems like a slick way to go. Do pins 87 and 87a have continuity? I'm worried about back-feeding power.

That seems like a slick way to go. Do pins 87 and 87a have continuity? I'm worried about back-feeding power.
No possibility of backfeed using the relay. 87 and 87a never have continuity. 30 is common, 87a is normally closed and 87 is normally open. The only place you might put a diode would be across 85 and 86 to mitigate the AC spike created when the relay opens and closes. The diode would be placed so no current flows through it. You can also buy relays made with the diode internally installed.

Back Up Lights.jpg

Would one of these work: 1N5349B (12V 5W)

I googled solar array diodes, and some of the comments mention using them in a similar reverse light setup.

Me pretending that I understand Electrickery with a computer drawing program:
1591132629757.png

Last edited:
Would one of these work: 1N5349B (12V 5W)

I googled solar array diodes, and some of the comments mention using them in a similar reverse light setup.

Me pretending that I understand Electrickery with a computer drawing program:
View attachment 2327748
It's hard to tell based on the manual for the SP based on how it's written, but this should work as long as it can be programmed via your phone to do what you want. You just need the trigger wire to enable a switch that wouldn't otherwise be enabled. The switch would then need to be the "gatekeeper" to determine whether the trigger wire turns on an output to your lights.

The diodes would be unnecessary in this configuration as the SP isolates the factory wiring from the aftermarket components. If you did need a diode (and you shouldn't) it would go on the pink trigger wire with the white/silver band facing the SP. The SP is only "looking" for a trigger, either + or - on the pink wire, and shouldn't feed anything back to the vehicle on that wire.

Thanks all.

One more thing, there is a relay for the reverse lights. If I can locate it, I may be able to tap into the wire coming out of it.

1591178816782.png

1591179388150.png

Does anyone know where this relay is located? It doesn't seem to be in the engine fuse/relay box. Guessing under the dash somewhere?

Does anyone know where this relay is located? It doesn't seem to be in the engine fuse/relay box. Guessing under the dash somewhere?
Looks like behind the glovebox:

dash.jpg
diagram.jpg
junction box.jpg

Thank you!!

Is it possible that the relay isn't a traditional relay (like the little cube thing)?

I took that area apart...
54BE0688-5468-48BD-9577-F0430CED22E5.jpeg

I'm looking for something that looks like a traditional relay. The Cowl Side J/B RH assembly seems to be a fuse box with an integrated circuit board inside. I can't get it apart enough to see the circuit board, nor do I have any idea of what I would be looking at if I got it open.

D2AB574D-63BB-4659-9AE6-5387436FFDBD.jpeg

284F6FBC-F36F-40CD-A2C7-9218F130828D.jpeg

I'm looking for pins 4, 13 and 17, where they should be blue, white/black and blue.

1F36B9D1-4D53-4B77-AE8B-1729B1119564.jpeg

I don't know which slots are which number, but they don't seem to line up in first blush.

Does anyone have the full pin out for this connector?

Last edited:
This other diagram from the EWD suggests wire color code L (pictures suggest L stands for blue?) wires (pins 4 and 13) and a white and black (pin 17):

1591236745787.png

1591237109750.png
B8FDF3CE-0FD1-4E3A-9AAA-6DE54BB51D9E.jpeg

White/Black on pins 5 and 22 and blue on pins 9 and 26. That doesn't look like it lines up with the reverse relay diagram.

4DF43B6A-0A7A-4F5F-9C87-C8F26D70B6C4.jpeg

Edit, I was looking at this from the wrong perspective - from the wire side of the connector, not the pin side. I think it lines up correctly if I look at it from the mirror image.

In think I can use the blue wire on pin 13 as the reverse signal for my Switch-Pros.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom