Muffler replacement options? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my continuing quest to transform our soccer mom vehicle for our 16 year old, are there any good sounding mufflers to replace the oem? I don’t want something overly loud that it is annoying or has a terrible drone on interstate driving however I would like something that sounds a little more throaty and let the V8 breath a little 😄. I just want something that is compatible that sounds good but doesn’t cause engine codes or create another set of issues.

I think anything aftermarket will be a little louder. Find a muffler shop and ask what they have to offer and if anyone has an example already mounted you can listen to. Shouldn't be hard to do for just the muffler. They can cut out the OEM and leave a little pipe on each end. Then mock up the replacement on the ground and it'll slip right in or weld it up.

Start with removing the resonator and tucking the tail pipe up a little. Gives more rumble and very little drone. I have had three different HP mufflers on my GX and all create drone between 1500 and 2300 RPM give or take. Also, having raced years ago, I have a good butt dyno and not much detectable increase in HP or TQ...and I have modified over 20 cars and motor cycles exhausts; and could usually find some improvement somewhere in the power band except for on my BMW M-3...so IMOP the factory muffler flows fairly well as is. There are kinks up front near the cross over, which if corrected would probably help flow along with headers. But then you're talking big money and increased noise. Then again, at 16 I loved my blown out Cherry Bombs so maybe a Magna Flow for him. I personally like the smooth sound of the Magna Flow over the more raspy sound of the Flow Master...that's just me. Lastly, beware of the muffler shop selling you "Magna Flow Style" muffler as you may get a Chinese knock off that blows out the steel packing fairly quickly.

Thanks, after spending a day on youtube looking up GX470 muffler sounds I am more confused than ever.

Since I am trying to avoid multiple trips to the service shop I would like to get it done(lift/tires/exhaust) all at once but definitely don't want to overshoot and wind up with a the "cherry bomb" glass packs sound or a highway drone that splits your head on long road trips. I was leaning towards the MagnaFlow 12256, I agree and prefer that sound over flowmaster however should I get the resonator removed as well or just replace the muffler with magnaflow. One review I read said that simply swapping the OEM for MagnaFlow made very little difference from stock sound.

I'm ok with removing the resonator and leaving the stock OEM; but if that doesn't give the desired effect then I will wind up spending more on labor than the actual muffler cost.

Also, am I going to run into any maintenance light issues by toying with the exhaust, be it resonator or muffler or both.

Appreciate your help the information from this board is immeasurable.

Did you delete the resonators as well or just replace muffler? YouTube has several cases of keeping resonator and deleting muffler but I haven’t seen anything vice versa as TahoeLX450 suggested. Just wondering what is the difference?

Did you delete the resonators as well or just replace muffler? YouTube has several cases of keeping resonator and deleting muffler but I haven’t seen anything vice versa as TahoeLX450 suggested. Just wondering what is the difference?

factory resonator still in place

Call Holley/Flowmaster & discuss options

Thanks, it’s hard to judge what “sounds good” since it varies from one person to the other but I appreciate all the feedback I can get.

FWIW

I used a Flowmaster #942452 50 series

fit like a glove

not too loud.....no drone

but sounds better than OEM

@Armed in Utah : Did you have to modify the diameter of the stock pipe to fit with the 2.25" muffler? I measured the pipe at the stock muffler and I get 60mm with my "trusty" Harbor Freight caliper. 2.25"=57.15mm. I am looking to reduce the height of my muffler so I don't get it caught on rocks again. Any pictures of your setup?

@Armed in Utah : Did you have to modify the diameter of the stock pipe to fit with the 2.25" muffler? I measured the pipe at the stock muffler and I get 60mm with my "trusty" Harbor Freight caliper. 2.25"=57.15mm. I am looking to reduce the height of my muffler so I don't get it caught on rocks again. Any pictures of your setup?

Offtopic a bit but you may have answered a question I was about to post. The OEM exhaust pipe diameter is 2.25” I take it? I’m looking to get a different smaller lighter muffler that’ll also add a little noise. Should I replace the resonators as well? Are they heavy? I know the resonators that were on my previous ‘16 Charger R/T were bloody massive and heavy.

Nope.....welded/fit right on....the OEM is huge & has to be restricting

Resonator ? You mean right at the under bumper exit ? Kept that on

Called Holley/Flowmaster direct for correct P/N

Ended up buying direct from them with same price shipped as Summit

Just has a bit of a rumble..not much...same usual MPG too

No pics......wife's DD.....sent her off to work again today......:)

Magnaflow has better build quality over Flowmaster. I had a flowmaster cat rust and fail in less than a year. The Magnaflow has tripled that already and still looks new.

I'm still deciding which route to go, leaning towards deleting muffler before axle and straight piping resonator. Cheap, more clearance plus some rumble. I've also debated replacing resonator with magnaflow or flowmaster.

I'm still deciding which route to go, leaning towards deleting muffler before axle and straight piping resonator. Cheap, more clearance plus some rumble. I've also debated replacing resonator with magnaflow or flowmaster.

Cherry Bomb M80 is a decent tubular single chamber to knock out drone. Jones makes the same thing, too for a little less.

Thanks, after spending a day on youtube looking up GX470 muffler sounds I am more confused than ever.

Since I am trying to avoid multiple trips to the service shop I would like to get it done(lift/tires/exhaust) all at once but definitely don't want to overshoot and wind up with a the "cherry bomb" glass packs sound or a highway drone that splits your head on long road trips. I was leaning towards the MagnaFlow 12256, I agree and prefer that sound over flowmaster however should I get the resonator removed as well or just replace the muffler with magnaflow. One review I read said that simply swapping the OEM for MagnaFlow made very little difference from stock sound.

I'm ok with removing the resonator and leaving the stock OEM; but if that doesn't give the desired effect then I will wind up spending more on labor than the actual muffler cost.

Also, am I going to run into any maintenance light issues by toying with the exhaust, be it resonator or muffler or both.

Appreciate your help the information from this board is immeasurable.
I went up to 2.5"muffler inlet and tail pipe. Put a Magnaflow resonator before the muffler and tucked the straight tail pipe way up to give me more ground clearance on departure.

Last edited:
Cherry Bomb M80 is a decent tubular single chamber to knock out drone. Jones makes the same thing, too for a little less.

I'll have to talk to the muffler shop about that. Would be nice to keep it a one trip ordeal. I have a feeling my original plan would result in a bad drone.

I'll have to talk to the muffler shop about that. Would be nice to keep it a one trip ordeal. I have a feeling my original plan would result in a bad drone.

I have a Jones version I need to get the flanges welded onto so I can put it on my Tacoma. It is the exact length of my plugged cat I removed and now it sounds like someone blowing raspberries into an empty 5 gallon water bottle. When I get it on I will let you know what difference it makes. It is also a 4cyl and not a v8.

Same design as this m80.
M80_cutaway_web.png

I have a Jones version I need to get the flanges welded onto so I can put it on my Tacoma. It is the exact length of my plugged cat I removed and now it sounds like someone blowing raspberries into an empty 5 gallon water bottle. When I get it on I will let you know what difference it makes. It is also a 4cyl and not a v8.

Same design as this m80.
View attachment 2358272

I always thought 4 cyl tacos sound better than 6 cyl. Hope that setup works out for you.

Just to confirm before I buy, 2.25” is the factory exhaust piping diameter yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom