Moving a Samurai... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tigerstripe40

SILVER Star
Threads
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in. But I have been asked to help move a Samurai.

I have a tandem axle flatbed trailer that is enough trailer to move my FJ40. We're going to use this trailer ot move the Samurai. The trailer has working trailer brakes. The question here, comes down to what to use as the tow rig.

Option 1.
2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport V6 with towing package and a brake controller.

Option 2.
2007 Ford F150 without a brake controller.

I figure that the Samurai weighs about 2200#s with the winch, etc and the trailer about 1800#'s making my overwall weight about 4000lbs. Tow rating on the Tacoma is 6500lbs.

Since the taco has a trailer brake controller, I am leaning towards using this truck.

Would this be a bad Idea?

The Taco will tow it just fine AND you'll have trailer brakes as a bonus. I used to have an '07 Taco that I used to tow my 40 on a heavy ass dual axle trailer.

Where are you towing to and from? Hills/mountains?

I would say, if you are unsettled and you have a choice between brakes on the trailer or not.
I'd say brakes. Either truck is capable tow rig.

Trailer brakes are important, but so is command authority. Something the Taco will barely have. Put a brake controller in the Ford. Something that late model should be pre-wired for it.

Where are you towing to and from? Hills/mountains?

It will be moved about 50 miles. All flat, interstate highway in between.

Trailer brakes are important, but so is command authority. Something the Taco will barely have. Put a brake controller in the Ford. Something that late model should be pre-wired for it.

The owner of the Ford won't put the money into a brake controller. There is also question as to whether the transmission and rear differential on that Ford is going bad. We'd use it if using the Tacoma with trailer brakes is a horrible idea.

That being said, last night I moved a 54 Chevy 3100 pickup truck (about 1000 lbs heavier than the samurai) on the same trailer about 10 miles with the tacoma. It was fine.

Tacoma will be fine. I used to have the same truck and towed 6k with no trailer brakes! It made a 150 mile trip but was not a good idea. With a light Sammy and brakes, I would not hesitate at all.

It will be moved about 50 miles. All flat, interstate highway in between.

The owner of the Ford won't put the money into a brake controller. There is also question as to whether the transmission and rear differential on that Ford is going bad. We'd use it if using the Tacoma with trailer brakes is a horrible idea.

That being said, last night I moved a 54 Chevy 3100 pickup truck (about 1000 lbs heavier than the samurai) on the same trailer about 10 miles with the tacoma. It was fine.

about 50 miles. All flat
with those facts in mind I wouldn't sweat the need for a trailer brake. Just leave lots of stopping distance and tow with whichever you want. Personally I would take the f150 with the V8.

I followed a buddy of mine to an offroad event last year. He towed his old bronco on a big bubba trailer with his Taco. He was well under the limit on weight but felt like he struggled on merging speeds/hills etc. But for only 50 miles Either one would be fine

Don't have to leave the controller in the Ford. When it starts to get ugly a heavy TR is what you're going to wish for.

Worst possible case I know, one of the SoCA EB folks flat towed his Early Bronco with a Taco, twice. I think he now uses an Excursion and the trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom