Moved to Atlanta (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some advice here. Wife and I moved to Atlanta from Denver because her family is here (Roswell area) and mine is in the DC area. I just got a job in the Parimeter area and she is telecomuting. What areas do you guys recommend looking for a 3-4 bedroom house with some land that would not be a ridiculous commute? Thanks. There particular highways I should stay away from?

Cruiser is not moving but I will defintily be joining the group once I have bought a place and have it back on the road.:cheers:

Last edited:
Welcome to Atlanta.

How much land are you talking about?

What is your price range?

How long are you willing to spend in a car each way on your commute?

We are looking forward to meetig you.

Kevin Schulte

Thanks.
I would love 1 acre or so.
Low to mid 200's
1 hour at most

I am staying in Roswell now. I have looked at Woodstock but am concerned with the traffic.

I live in Norcross, and the commute to Perimeter is not bad at all. I have a 3 bedroom house (2.5 baths) on 3/4 acre and we bought in the mid-200's. But it's a hit or miss market here.

One other place I looked is the small part of Doraville that is in Gwinnett County. Lot's of homes in that area around that price on large lots.

Anywhere North will suck getting into town. We just bought this house a year ago and know the area pretty well, so if you need some advice, PM me and I'll tell you what we learned.

Good luck!

You can find that in East Snobb, but it'll be an older house. There's one for sale across the street from me in that price range, but it looks dated.

I actually noticed that while driving around last night. Every time I saw a sign that read "East Cobb" I said to myself "East Snob." This is when you know you spend to much time on Mud!

Trevor said:
You can find that in East Snobb, but it'll be an older house. There's one for sale across the street from me in that price range, but it looks dated.

I did noticed there were many homes for sale. How "dated" are we talking?

I live in Alpharetta but work a couple of miles from home so I don't have to do the 400 commute. But if I did and was moving to town now, I would consider Forsyth Co about 5 miles north of Windward. Booming area but still very reasonably priced, and many lots are 1 acre +. You also get the benefit of a relatively new house (brand new if you want). You will also benefit from the expansion of 400 which is taking place now. Traffic will fill the lanes quick enough, but that's going to be the case where ever you go.

You could just go to work early and leave early... or work early and leave late (my life).

Good luck.

I consider my house "dated". It was built in '78. The house across the street is brick and has a low-pitch roof. It kinda looks Asian / contemporary. I would avoid a contemporary-style house because they are hard to resell.

I lived in Smyrna and it was an easy drive to just about wherever I needed to go. I could be in Alpharetta in 45 mins, downtown in less than 30 and my wife worked at powers ferry (top end perimeter)...and her commute was more like 20 mins with the backroads. The key to ATL is the backroads....learn which way the traffic goes in the morning, because it will be the opposite at the end of the day. Buy a house where you are always going against the flow and it works like a charm. The closer in you buy, the better your investment will go...don't worry about it being an "older" house, just make sure it has good bones and you can renovate to your needs as time and money permit.

Look in a little area named Martin's Landing in Roswell. Great Place ! Near the River has lake access with walking trails, you wont get an 1 acre in there but at least 1/2 acre. Also you have 400 really close + several back ways to get to work. good luck.

Be sure to buy a house with a big wood-burning fireplace, so you can take lots of my free firewood. :D

hmm, I live in E Cherokee Trevor...send me an IM with your addy, I will come get some logs :)

Trevor,

I assume your deal fell through with the other dude. I will come over this weekend and cut for a few hours if you like and then haul away another load.

Kevin

One guy came last weekend, and another is coming tonight. I still have a lot left.

I have a chain saw you can borrow if you want.

fuelgeddes said:
Look in a little area named Martin's Landing in Roswell. Great Place ! Near the River has lake access with walking trails, you wont get an 1 acre in there but at least 1/2 acre. Also you have 400 really close + several back ways to get to work. good luck.

Thanks for the recomendation. I have ridden my bike through there before. Will check it out tonight.

Edit: Just drove through there and found several houses that I definitly want to look into. Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom