Mounting Your Radios

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, I don't have any of the cruisers that you have, but do have a few thoughts.

1. If you run a "two sided" radio like a Yaesu FT-8900 or Kenwood Tm-733 or similar, higher is better. Any radio that has an adjustment knob on the left hand side will cause your hand to obscure the display when you are manipulating that knob. If the radio sits at or above the factory radio height, this tends not to be an issue. I have done a ceiling mount in my 100 and mount just above the factory radio in my 80. I had a mount below the factory radio in my Tacoma, and that is where I ran into issues.

2. Depending on what kind of radio you have, a remote mounted faceplate really opens up some options with where to mount. You just have to be aware that if you happen to mount the radio body down low, like under a seat, it is more susceptible to water..

3. Always do a complete mock up to see what you'll be dealing with for hanging mic cables. There have been a few times that I really liked an install location, but could not stand having the mic cable dangling in front of my radio or in my peripheral vision..

Hope that helps..

Where are you guys mounting your HAM / GMRS radios in your Land Cruisers?

Overhead, on the roll cage:

IMG_0734.JPG

@malteser came up with a good one for a 70-series. I am debating copying this myself. Keeps it down and out of the way, but also uses space that is not otherwise really usable.

I don't use it that often so its tucked away but still well within reach. The aluminium angle just slides under the boot mounting plate with slots where the bolts sit. Might not be as simple to mount if you have a centre console.

IMG_20220210_183313.jpg

Last edited:
Yeasu FT-2980 in a BJ73. Originally tried malteser's mount, but the radio would not clear below the HVAC ducts. This one I uses the lower two transmission boot bolts and bent up a bracket. Hoping to find a Tuffy Console to put in there and mount it to that eventually, but this will work for now.

1649208371705.png

1649208407216.png

Yeasu FT-2980 in a BJ73. Originally tried malteser's mount, but the radio would not clear below the HVAC ducts. This one I uses the lower two transmission boot bolts and bent up a bracket. Hoping to find a Tuffy Console to put in there and mount it to that eventually, but this will work for now.

That is a great radio; I still have two 2800's (one of which is the first 2M radio I ever bought) and they still work perfectly.

Since they don't have a fan, the cooling fins need some air circulation when you're transmitting - not sure there would be enough air in a Tuffy console.

That is a great radio; I still have two 2800's (one of which is the first 2M radio I ever bought) and they still work perfectly.

Since they don't have a fan, the cooling fins need some air circulation when you're transmitting - not sure there would be enough air in a Tuffy console.
I’ve heard good things about them too. I have a 7800r in my tacoma but never use 440 so I figured I would go with a straight 2’ this round. That’s good to know on the fans. I was thinking of mounting it to the front of the Tuffy and not inside for the airflow and speaker.

I mounted two radios to the back of my driver seat in my 100, on a metal molle seatback panel.
A Uniden CMX760 CB, and a Wouxun KG-UV980P quad band.

IMG_20220904_114715258.jpg

Last edited:
In my FJ40, I used a Tuffy overhead console between the rollbar and windshield frame. The dual band sits right behind the AM/FM and it's speaker down fires through the provided grill. The sound is quite good. I made a plate to mount the remote head above my field of view but close by for adjustment. Everything topside is locked and I throw the remote head into the lower Tuffy to lock it if I leave while topless. I wouldn't change anything.

IMG_4873.JPG
IMG_4871.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom