Mounting a 110V inverter in the 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't know just what Junk is referring to, buy Toyota did provide inverters in some of their cars. My wife's 2001 Avalon has one. The socket is on the back of the center console (presumably to provide access to the passengers), and there is a main switch for it under the steering wheel, next to the VSC switch.

I think it's only like 150 or 300W--MSW. Probably designed for a laptop or something of that size.

the Matrix also has 110V outlets. I wonder if one of those could be used.

The new Tacos have outlets in the box ...

I think he was probably thinking of just snaging the OEM socket unit out of one of the Toy cars/trucks and retrofitting that to his LC--not the whole inverter unit. It's a nice little plug do-dad with a spring loaded cover to prevent you from accidently putting your putz in there. Would be pretty easy to install--just need to knock out a hole for it and run the wires.

They don't sell that plastic cover do-dat for the plug outlet from the Tacoma as a separate part. Unless Dan can get it separately, we're SOL...

see pics attached

What I'd love to see is the wiring diagram for a matrix, but don't have one.

Last edited:
see more

Koffer helped me figure out the inputs into the switch dang thing with 2 diff lights etc :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
So the switch and 2 prong outlet are from a Matrix. I also have a GFCI hard wired outlet in the cargo area on ps just behind the middle seat where it's convenient to run an extension cord out through the slide window etc. This inverter is an industrial model and gets used a ton.

Junk,

You are using a 110v recepticle from a Matrix and also a switch? The switch has indicator lamps? Do you have a picture of the front of the switch?

I wonder why the Matrix recepticle is a 2-prong when many 110v devices use 3-prong plugs? (Obviously, I don't know much about alternating current.)

-B-

The third prong is for ground (aka earth for those using the "other" version of English).

Is the ground prong going straight to a ground lug on the Inverter? Surely it's not going to the chassis ground?

There does not appear to be a ground recepticle on the Matrix 110v outlet.

-B-

Yeah B, I'll post up a pic of the front when I get home. it has 2 indicators - one goes with the dash lights and the other indicates when the inverter is on. :D

Beowulf said:
Junk,

You are using a 110v recepticle from a Matrix and also a switch? The switch has indicator lamps? Do you have a picture of the front of the switch?

I wonder why the Matrix recepticle is a 2-prong when many 110v devices use 3-prong plugs? (Obviously, I don't know much about alternating current.)

-B-

B

Its a Japan thing. The Cruiser :princess: took her laptop and I had to buy a really cheap Ex. cord so I could plug it in . The charger had a 3 prong but all the outlets in the rooms we stayed were 2 prong . This was true for the A/C units and the fridge in the rooms , All 2 prong . :eek:
For a country that into such high tech the wiring I saw is just plain scarey . :rolleyes:

Just a WAG, but maybe its also due to the fact that in a vehicle, there's not really any place to ground... You could ground to the chassis, but it's insullated really since you're sitting on four rubber tires--that's why they tell you to stay put in your car if a power line falls on you while driving. So even if you put the ground prong in the socket, it's not going to really ground anything.

Scamper said:
So even if you put the ground prong in the socket, it's not going to really ground anything.

Agreed, but here in the US, most of our plugs are 3-prong so you have to keep a 3-to-2 adapter handy. No biggie though.

-B-

Well B, for most things used in a car/truck a 2 prong would be sufficient - look at laptops, phone chargers etc. For heavier duty stuff you'd use the GFCI in the back :D

here's pic of switch front

I'll take one of it in the truck but have a BOD meeting tomorrow I need to get ready for. :eek:

Last edited:
Just acquired the AC outlet plug from the Tacoma truck. Picture and part number as shown.
AC Plug.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom