More steering issues............ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on a weird steering issue.......ive done a search but didnt quite get what i was looking for. I've got my 60 about 4 months ago and drove it 1700 miles home with no steering issues. Now that im home and have been driving it more a weird pretty, scary steering problem popped up. Its mostly noticeable on the highway.........while driving straight it will be ok and then suddenly pull quickly to one side or another. It is also very scary switching lanes as it will want to dart almost to the ditch as soon as you make any move out of your lane. This happens some while going on slower roads but its less noticeable.
Ive had a look around the truck but haven't seen anything super obvious. It has a OME lift on it and i noticed the bushes looked to be never greased and quit worn. I changed all the bushing out and greased them and the leaf packs. The truck also has to be what looks like a newer TRE kit fitted already. I did adjust the relay rods in and that still did not help. The front brakes pull to both sides(at different times,lol) but do not seem to be sticking on. Any ldea's what my next thing to look at should be?
Should i look at getting a new TRE kit even though they look kind of new? Steering stabilizer(even though it is also newer). How about a front end aliment......could that be my problem?
Any help or suggestions would be awesome!!!!!
Thanks guys

I would have to guess it might be your steering box. Check the driver shock and see if it’s wet... the steering box is on the frame rail there and generally leaks at the side (the input shaft) that the steering linkage hooks into. Have you checked how much power steering fluid you have in the res? It’s on the driver side up high near the fan and is attached to a pulley. Lid should say TOYODA.
Start checking all that... very odd that you could go so far and be perfectly fine.

If you have a large lift then your caster angle will be off causing wandering down the road. How big is the lift? Show us some pictures of your driveshaft angles and your steering.

Check for something loose. Wheel bearings, wheel studs, knuckle bearings, shackle pins, u-bolts, steering box, TRE's.

Thanks for the steering box tip, i will look at it when i get back. I will also grab a few pics but it is only a 2.5" lift.......could that still throw my caster off enough to cause me issues?

I have already checked the u bolts, shackle pins, wheel bearings, had a new knuckle job done and the TRE all look good. The steering box is something to concider though for sure!

Thanks for the steering box tip, i will look at it when i get back. I will also grab a few pics but it is only a 2.5" lift.......could that still throw my caster off enough to cause me issues?
It can throw it off enough to cause problems. If nothing is loose, next reasonable step might be to add a spring shim. You can also go to an alignment shop and ask them to measure your caster. That way you'll know what size shim to buy/install.

I do feel I need to point out to those jumping in... this guy said he drove 1,700 miles and THEN it started doing the herky jerky stuff.
Def as they said, check the tightness of the knuckle bolts, Pittman arm to TRE castle nuts as well as the relay rod castle nuts and that the cotter pins are secure. Also check that the relay rods have cotter pins in the very end and that they didn’t really oddly decide to shimmy out AFTER 1,700 miles.
Have you checked the power steering pump res level yet too? Pretty sure check it while it’s hot.
Also while the hood is up, check the steering linkage to the gear box. There should be a metal cover over it, it’s held in by two bolts on the fender side, once you have them out the cover slides out toward you from the other side. Make sure the bolt that holds the linkage is tight to the gear box. It only goes in one way and has to be removed completely to hook the linkage fully to the splined shaft. Don’t ask me why I know this...

Just is really freaking odd to have such strange symptoms occur AFTER such a long trip.

Thanks again guys for the help. The TRE, put an arm and castle buts are all tight...... And with cotter pins. I'm not sure how to check the knuckle bolts.. .. I'll look into that!
The truck had a 5.3/4l60e in it so I guess I'd have the Chev power steering set up and not the 'toyoda' one now. I will check to make sure though.
I think I'll make a appointment at a shop to get the caster checked...... Maybe something moved. Thanks again. I'll post back if I ever have any head way!

So finally got the 60 in for a ailment. All was ok so that didn't change anything. My steering gearbox isn't leaking but I'm starting to Think it might be that. I tried adjusting it but that didnt help any either.
Has anyone heard of a worn gearbox causing these issues?

Ok so if it suddenly wants to pull to one side (and the same side every time) and you did not adjust the steering or touch the brakes, that easily could be wheel bearings going bad. for you naysayers, if you have never had a front bearing seize then you are just missing out on some real fun.

Now you say if you move the wheel and it darts, then yes the gearbox maybe shot, while I have not had this on Land Cruiser, I have had this on other vehicles.

You could rebuild this yourself or do what I did and save yourself a headache and have it rebuilt for you.

Hi,
The alignment seems to have fixed pulling while braking........ The toe was out some.
It does still pull to both sides(at different times, lol) while driving and not braking though sometimes.... Not always.
Also on my 1700 mile drive home iron pigs cruisers did a knuckle rebuild and adjusted the wheel bearings. He said the bearings were loose but ok and just needed tighting.
The truck drove great the rest of The trip.... Steering issues only came up after I got home.
I am Also running the same tires as before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom