More on Diesel Turbos...water-cooled? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a good thread however one thing that nobody here seemed to even touch on is the fact that you are running your antifreeze through your turbo! This means that for anyone, especially if you do slow offroad driving you are "burning" your antifreeze which will lower its specifications. As well slow off road idling may lead you to have even more cooling problems.
My $.02

This maybe a stupid question but.
I have FZJ80 and thinking about turbo.
Is there a setup that I would be able to convert to a 1HZ in the future?

Diesel Dude said:
This is a good thread however one thing that nobody here seemed to even touch on is the fact that you are running your antifreeze through your turbo! This means that for anyone, especially if you do slow offroad driving you are "burning" your antifreeze which will lower its specifications. As well slow off road idling may lead you to have even more cooling problems.
My $.02

True, the antifreeze runs through the turbo but generally when the turbo is hot the revs are up high enough to have good flow. When idling my pyrometer is often down below 300F and that's exhaust temp, not coolant in the turbo temp which I would assume would be somewhat less.
My truck, which has A/C as well as the water cooled turbo has had no cooling problems at all and it has seen 110F in Arizona with the A/C on and the truck pulling (causing additional cooling load from the turbo). Here in Central America the A/C is on almost all the time the truck is in operation and we can have 90-100F on the coast or in the jungle not to mention that here too the truck is often working hard with high turbo temps.

Good point diesel dude, but at low engine speeds with low boost offroad, the turbo will not be running as hot either.

If it would be a problem though, I wonder if you could control the water flow through the turbo with a valve?

fzj80kidpen - I am not sure what you are asking. Are you looking for a kit for the fzj80 that can be fitted later to a 1HZ? or are you wondering is a 1HZ kit would work for your fzj80?

fzj80kidpen - I am not sure what you are asking. Are you looking for a kit for the fzj80 that can be fitted later to a 1HZ? or are you wondering is a 1HZ kit would work for your fzj80?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like he asking about fitting a turbo on his gas pot and then switching it to the diesel?

If so, prolly not, two totally different animals, making power at opposite ends.

Just dump the gas pot, you will love the 1HZ.

Rob

cruiser_guy said:
True, the antifreeze runs through the turbo but generally when the turbo is hot the revs are up high enough to have good flow. When idling my pyrometer is often down below 300F and that's exhaust temp, not coolant in the turbo temp which I would assume would be somewhat less.
My truck, which has A/C as well as the water cooled turbo has had no cooling problems at all and it has seen 110F in Arizona with the A/C on and the truck pulling (causing additional cooling load from the turbo). Here in Central America the A/C is on almost all the time the truck is in operation and we can have 90-100F on the coast or in the jungle not to mention that here too the truck is often working hard with high turbo temps.

The problem is not while running, but after on shutdown, when fluids are not flowing. residual heat is the issue, the oil will carry the heat away effective enough, but to keep the whole unit a little cooler yes a water cooled unit is more effective. But on diesels supposedly(shown by many manufactures) that they run cooler by comparison(than gas)

shutting down a water cooled turbo too soon will also cause problems to both the antifreeze and oil.

as far during engine ops(with no water cooled), I would not feel you are exceding your oil temps, smell it and see, does it smell burnt?????

only factor is residual heat after shut down. the water cooled turbo will shorten the cool down(maybe). How marginal the difference.

just pick your choice and go with it, either way, watch your oil.

also hot oil runs low on the pressure side.

My comments ..

1. I Have a Porsche 944 Turbo with a watercooled KKK K26/8 Turbo, and this car have a electric water pump, to cooling the turbo during nomral operation, and after you out off the enine. In the owners manual said, there are no problem with shutdown the engine after hard race, as long as the water turbo ump funtion fine.

2. When go to hardcore mudwheeling, with a lots of mud in your tire, trustme, you are pulling a lots of extra lbs in your tires, and if your check your turbo, is pulling hard to break the mud, not slow at you think .. in my case do it in 3rd gear at full throtle .. !

Tapage said:
My comments ..

1. I Have a Porsche 944 Turbo with a watercooled KKK K26/8 Turbo, and this car have a electric water pump, to cooling the turbo during nomral operation, and after you out off the enine. In the owners manual said, there are no problem with shutdown the engine after hard race, as long as the water turbo ump funtion fine.

2. When go to hardcore mudwheeling, with a lots of mud in your tire, trustme, you are pulling a lots of extra lbs in your tires, and if your check your turbo, is pulling hard to break the mud, not slow at you think .. in my case do it in 3rd gear at full throtle .. !

yes mud is a different story, but all the wheelin i do is more tacticle trail riding/rock crawling. Rarely am i full throttle or in anything higher than 2nd gear low range.

I can't imagine there is a big problem with water-cooled units since so many kits offer them and i agree that giving the turbo time to cool before shut down is important either way. I think i will research a custom setup a little more, otherwise probably go with the Turboglide with a BB GT28, and maybe water cooling.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom