More ignition issues....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Herb

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an aftermarket ignition switch installed on my 71 FJ40. Most times, I turn the key to "on"...it begins clicking softly..then I turn the key to "start" and I get a "CLUNK" like the starter is engaging but not turning. So, I lightly turn the key back to "ON" and then slowly to "START" again and the thing starts up fine.

Last night, when I turned the key to "START" it did NOTHING at all. No Clunk, no nothing. So, I lightly tightened the screw holding the wire to the ignition cylinder bolt labeled "ST" (starter?) and it fired right up. If I over tighten this particular bolt, the "CLUNK" comes back, if I undertighten it...I get nothing. It has to be perfectly tightened for the starter to engage and start the truck.

WTF? Any ideas.....?

This switch is brand new...universal one from an auto parts store.

Sounds like a bad new switch. You can verify this by just jumping across the switch terminals to check if everything else works fine.

I went through three of these aftermarket switches and found they all behaved the same way as Herb described. Finally got fed up and got a toyota switch. Nothing like OEM.

Ahhh, good to hear that I'm not crazy...and that these "new" switches can come screwed up right out of the package.

I will order a new toyota part.....CCOT I guess.

Thanks again.

Herb

Herb said:
Ahhh, good to hear that I'm not crazy...and that these "new" switches can come screwed up right out of the package.

I will order a new toyota part.....CCOT I guess.

Thanks again.

Herb
Get it from CDan - see "American Toyota" banner at the top ;) Better, cheaper, faster ...

Tucker

Tucker..thanx for the tip.

I don't see the banner though.....do you have a link?

Herb

Yep, they are a minor pain in the butt....however, I can always get the truck to start...which is kinda cool if you think about it. I mean, if that happened on my wife's volvo....fuggettaboutit. I can just tinker a bit and it starts.

Thanks for the help with this...I'll follow the thread and "get to Cdan"

Herb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom