More EVAP Canister chatter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am confident that what I am looking for is here already but I spent 30 mins searching every combination I can think of and I get everything except what I am looking for.

Has anyone experienced gas leaking out of your EVAP Canister??? Mine was, I tightened a hose clamp and the LEAK stopped but there shouldn't be gas in there, right?

Thanks, EZEmpls

If I understand you correctly, the evap you mention is there on the passenger side of the engine?
3 1/2" diameter x 5" tall?
If so,
Replace your gas cap. Or swap the hoses on top.
Also research charcoal canister.

If you mean liquid gasoline flowing out of the charcoal canister: Don't overfill the gas tank & replace the gas filler neck cap (gas cap).

With a leaky gas cap & gas tank filled to the brim, liquid gasoline can get forced out of the EVAP vapor lines into the charcoal canister.
It can actually start a siphon if it gets started and flood the charcoal canister. I've watched my cc gushing, not dribbling, gasoline out of the bottom of it.

When it gets that bad, every time you try to press down on the gas pedal to accelerate with a flooded cc, the EVAP VCV opens and gasoline gets sucked into the intake manifold at the base of the carb & floods the A/F mixture.... making the engine stumble, bog and not accelerate.

I've left mine parked multiple days during odd hot/cold weather streaks and seen what you're describing in the hoses near the outer vent control valve (which opens when the vehicle is off to allow fuel vapor from the carb to adsorb in the charcoal canister). Best I could reason it was due to vapor condensing in the line before it could enter the canister as a gas. Due to the way my outer VCV is mounted, it couldn't/wouldn't drain completely into the canister, hence what seemed like a small gasoline leak when I disconnected the hoses. It's not like an every day thing for me, just once or twice have I seen liquid gasoline near my purge line. I figure it vaporizes the next time I get the engine hot for a reasonable duration and adsorbs to the canister when the vehicle is shut off.

It's also possible you are experiencing said condensation with a clogged valve on the canister, which would be hard to diagnose without more details (2 vs 3 hose EVAP, functioning outer VCV, which line is leaking (tank or purge), etc).

Or maybe what others have said - you are somehow building up too much tank pressure and are burping fuel into the canister (through the "to tank" line).

I have tried every method that I can find suggested on mud. Replaced the gas tank, replace the filler neck, the gas cap, all fuel hoses, charcoal canister, switched the cc hoses...probably some other things I am forgetting.

At 80 degrees or less, everything is fine. No fuel smell inside, no issues at all.

At 90 + when 4 wheeling, things get funky. Fuel pressure inside the tank gets too high, I can smell it inside the truck (windows are typically open by this time) and fuel is flowing out the bottom of the cc. I can nearly watch the fuel gauge drop.

Easy fix. I stop every 15 minutes, shut off the truck, walk around to the fuel door, open, release the excess pressure, and continue on. If I don't do this, there's a clear line of fuel on the trail from under my truck.

Old men have to get up and go pee in the middle of the night...my truck is really old in car years, so maybe my truck has an enlarged prostate? Not sure where the prostate is located in a landcruiser.

Have you replaced the soft lines? When I gutted my CC and replaced the lines the soft insulating layers were stuck full of old dirt/mud. Tho a eems like if you had a clog you wouldn't have fuel flow but thought I'd mention it anyhow.

I believe the short answer is yes...you can have liquied gas in the charcoal canister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom