Molle system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RET2

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone come across any method that covers the rear windows for Molle equipment. I know they exist for just about every other model.

Probably about 2 years ago I inquired with orange box fabrication and they didn’t have any such offerings. So let us know if something’s in the works.

I spoke to Orange Box and a couple other and then pulled my handles and some panels to see what was there. I was about to give up and then Mike at Bump it Offroad gave me a great idea :)

I can't pull these off without prying under the edges of the cups. I got the suction cups on Amazon. They are designed to hold a Potato cutter to a stainless table in restaurants. About 3" in diameter. I tried a larger quantity of smaller ones first and one side held great and the other didn't. So far these are bombproof.

I have one of my third row removed for a drawer and fridge and am planning on removing the other side in a couple weeks for the summer. I put pics in so you could see the space available with the seat folded.

IMG_1026 - Copy.jpg
IMG_1025.jpg
IMG_1029.jpg
IMG_1028.jpg
IMG_1027.jpg

I spoke to Orange Box and a couple other and then pulled my handles and some panels to see what was there. I was about to give up and then Mike at Bump it Offroad gave me a great idea :)

I can't pull these off without prying under the edges of the cups. I got the suction cups on Amazon. They are designed to hold a Potato cutter to a stainless table in restaurants. About 3" in diameter. I tried a larger quantity of smaller ones first and one side held great and the other didn't. So far these are bombproof.

I have one of my third row removed for a drawer and fridge and am planning on removing the other side in a couple weeks for the summer. I put pics in so you could see the space available with the seat folded.

View attachment 1968323View attachment 1968322View attachment 1968326View attachment 1968325View attachment 1968324
Awesome. Do you have links?

Thinking about building one for mine, if the interest is there I may offer them in the future.
Pretty handy for keeping odds and ends organized.
I'd definitely be interested in this if you decide to move forward. I've been on the lookout for Orange to offer one and asked Rago Fab about doing them while at Overland Expo East.

Looks to be this Molle panel cut to fit

Those are both correct. I found the Molle panels used on mud. They are Greyman, and those are the feet I used.

I cut cardboard to fit the window shapes and then outlined it with sharpie on the Molle panel. Used a cut off wheel on a grinder to cut.

At expo west this year I went to the Rago Fab booth to ask about rear window molle panels. Seems they're still interested in making them but still need a vehicle. Told them I'd be interested in dropping mine off for a day so they could get whatever they need. Only thing I need now is to find a good time to go this summer. :D

At expo west this year I went to the Rago Fab booth to ask about rear window molle panels. Seems they're still interested in making them but still need a vehicle. Told them I'd be interested in dropping mine off for a day so they could get whatever they need. Only thing I need now is to find a good time to go this summer. :D

I wonder how tough/easy it would be to find more powerful struts for lifting the rear hatch.

It could make for a pretty convenient access when raised if it could deal with the weight of doodads. I’m thinking like easy-grab chow items for a hatch area food prep.not super heavy...but quick access without digging in drawers or opening boxes or bags. Folks with the huge/long Trekboxx drawers/storage/work surface are all set (maybe someday) but I’d love a few more grabs back there.

I wonder how tough/easy it would be to find more powerful struts for lifting the rear hatch.

It could make for a pretty convenient access when raised if it could deal with the weight of doodads. I’m thinking like easy-grab chow items for a hatch area food prep.not super heavy...but quick access without digging in drawers or opening boxes or bags. Folks with the huge/long Trekboxx drawers/storage/work surface are all set (maybe someday) but I’d love a few more grabs back there.
The panels I'm interested in are the ones for the side windows which wouldn't affect the hatch.

That said, you make a very good point. I don't think it would be too hard to swap out the struts for stronger ones. When I was installing the rear swingouts ARB didn't include one of the bolts to secure the struts. Ended up swapping it for another one and I wish I swapped them both out lol

Does anyone know offhand what size/model the OEM struts are?

The panels I'm interested in are the ones for the side windows which wouldn't affect the hatch.

That said, you make a very good point. I don't think it would be too hard to swap out the struts for stronger ones. When I was installing the rear swingouts ARB didn't include one of the bolts to secure the struts. Ended up swapping it for another one and I wish I swapped them both out lol

Does anyone know offhand what size/model the OEM struts are?

To me, the rear side windows are too hard to access to be of much use...unless you’re a kid sitting in back. Plus...the ability to see out the passenger side rear is helpful.

Molle stuff in general is terrible for grabbing/removing/replacing bags because they are too much of a pain to attach and unless you crawl inside...reaching into bags in the rear window area isn’t easy. That’s what draws me to strong Velcro near easy access points near hatch, doors, etc

But molle in the hatch window? Molle items could stay put, and stay readily accessible in camp while prepping food in the rear hatch area. :meh:

Good points. Guess it depends on what is stored on the panels and how everything is organized. It would be easy enough to attach velcro to the panels and deal with them that way. I'm looking at it more for storing things like hard case first aid kit (with quick release), fire extinguisher, etc. (stuff with a mount which can be removed easily enough).

Interesting you mention it's nice to see out the passenger rear window but don't seem bothered if a molle panel would block the hatch window ;) Would be super convenient though. I'll bring it up with them (emailed today about stopping by).

Interesting you mention it's nice to see out the passenger rear window but don't seem bothered if a molle panel would block the hatch window ;) Would be super convenient though. I'll bring it up with them (emailed today about stopping by).

Good question... But when you see what’s already behind my hatch window...it makes more sense why blocking that glass doesn’t bother me like the rear passenger window would... ;)

This is back there...
1559630654681.jpeg

So I see behind with this:
EA8084DF-C266-4174-BDA4-4680DAE5104B.jpeg

From here...:
B83EE144-E4B6-42E7-87B6-619E86CDBB2E.jpeg

Like this...
022E9ADE-07DD-4133-9400-A768FF47A288.jpeg

I’d actually prefer a window-sized, solid Velcro loop surface over molle. Tear-away is just so useful and easy to rearrange compared to molle webbing.

Last edited:
Yup, that would explain it 🤣

Going to try and meet up with the Rago crew this month. Definitely going to bring up a hatch molle panel when I do and see if they can come up with anything.

The 2019 automatically raises and lowers. Could add those parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom