Mojave Road Feb. 12-13 Trip Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was able to hit intermittently the Big Bear repeater. Heard lots of chatter on one of the Barstow repeaters, but on the one radio check I tried on Barstow, I got no response - running high power. Second day was the best for picking up Big Bear. I'd have to say though that even for an emergency, hitting any repeaters along the Mojave Road is spotty at best. Ludlow repeater was active on the drive down I-40, but never heard any chatter while we were on the trail.

Was this with the SSB1?

Great trip report guys, awesome pics too! Hard to believe we ran it 3 weeks ago with no snow and in the low 40's at night. Winter came late. I think another trip is called for when it's warmer but the snow pics are just awesome. There aren't many takers this time of year and the solitude makes the trip even more special.

It was fun "watching" your progress on the Spot Messenger! Boyd; wondering why you shut it off at Manix?

Glad you all had a good time! Thanks again for posting up the great pics and taking the time to share them. :)

What's that saying again. . ."What a difference a day makes!" Or in this case; what a difference a storm makes:D

I'm glad someone was watching our progress online; I just figured that once we hit pavement nobody would really care to track us down the 15:rolleyes:

What's that saying again. . ."What a difference a day makes!" Or in this case; what a difference a storm makes:D

Isn't that the truth. We had rain the night before, so no dust, :) but no snow either. :frown: I'll bet Sputnik came in handy!

I'm glad someone was watching our progress online; I just figured that once we hit pavement nobody would really care to track us down the 15:rolleyes:

You guys spent a lot of time in the saddle the final day, I was just curious to see what time it was when you finally got home. Stan mentioned 11 hours +/-. :D

Isn't that the truth. We had rain the night before, so no dust, :) but no snow either. :frown: I'll bet Sputnik came in handy!

You guys spent a lot of time in the saddle the final day, I was just curious to see what time it was when you finally got home. Stan mentioned 11 hours +/-. :D

Sputnik was an absolute blessing Thursday evening. We had that thing roaring with 5 men and 2 dogs huddled around it...at least until Taco found his bed and crawled under the covers himself! Smart dog.

We did spend about 11-12 hours driving grand total on Friday. A LOT of very fun driving tho and the time passed quickly with the beautiful scenery, fun banter on the CB, etc.

We absolutely need to do this when it's warmer. Took forever to get all the mud from Cedar Canyon and Soda Lake off the truck Saturday. Damn that stuff just cakes on!

Awesome report!! I wish I were there. I gotta get out there soon! Who cares about how many gallons of fuel you guys used, I want to know how many gallons of Franzia that Brent consumed :cheers:!

I really miss you guys! (as gay as that sounds:rolleyes:)

:beer:
Smit

Smitty,

Stan brought a bottle of San Luis Opisbo Pinot Noir made at Cal State SLO by a freshman class. It was quite good. A little cold for drinking wine, but it was tasty!

IIRC, off to the right just before you cross Route 95.

Black Cat Saloon

Latitude :35.1146
Longitude :-114.8168

Track point #7 on the SPOT page

SPOT Page

Looks like another great trip! I can't believe you took Bubba down that ladder; I made my hounds stay in the car:frown:

I think that there enough things that I didn't get to see when we went a few weeks ago to warrant another trip.

I think I used about 3/4 of a tank in the 4Runner but now that I'm driving it more, I've noticed that there is a larger swing between on and off road milage than with the 80:hmm:

Looks like another great trip! I can't believe you took Bubba down that ladder; I made my hounds stay in the car:frown:

Up the rings, up! I guided and tugged from above and Boyd got the pushing end from below. :eek: Bubba had a blast an is a true rockhound! I swear after the two sections of rings that he had a s*** eating grin on his muzzle!!! :clap:

Up the rings, up! I guided and tugged from above and Boyd got the pushing end from below. :eek: Bubba had a blast an is a true rockhound! I swear after the two sections of rings that he had a **** eating grin on his muzzle!!! :clap:

Brent, I think Steve was referring to the ladder at the lava tubes.
attachment.php

Just the same, pretty cool you guys took Bubba everywhere.

That ladder looks brand new compared to when we were there. The one we went down looked 100 years old.

Stan mentioned the same thing Dave - new ladder.

Scott - correct. Bubba did go up and down the ladder to the lava tubes. He just went up the two sections of the Hole in the Wall trail that had rings for support and leverage. That was much tougher and more fun than the ladder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom