Moab 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Is anyone interested in a Moab trip in spring 2018? I've never been and I'm thinking I want to try and go before HIH8 in July.

Ship your truck. Money bags!

Factor in the cost of fuel, food, lodging (or camping), in addition to the days of missed work/revenue, and it's a no-brainer. Especially for those of us that run our own businesses.

Yeah I took three days each way to and from Idaho Springs in September for our Colorado trip. I wouldn't consider doing it in two days, it's just too much time on the road to do it in two long days. It was 1700 miles to Idaho Springs and I'd say another 300 or so from there to Moab. My diesel 81 series used a little less than 250 gallons for fuel for the 4400 mile adventure and that was with the cruise set at 72-73 for most of the interstate parts of the trip. Fuel expense was in the $850-900 range. Nights in a hotel close to $100 each and of course you have to eat while traveling. Toll cost negligible. I doubt that I could have shipped my truck out and back home for what I spent for fuel, motels and food. Dividing the costs among two or more persons is what would really make it an almost no-brainer cost wise. What value, whether positive or negative, you assign to driving cross country in a land cruiser could be the real deciding factor. Plenty of ways to look at this!

Actually to get back to the original question- if we are not doing any other long range trips this year I might have an interest in Moab. I know there are a few guys from Yankee Toys heading out there for the 2018 event. Are you thinking about attending Cruise Moab or just heading to Moab and wheel independently? Either way could/would be a blast. I would definitely not be driving out and in fact might have more interest in flying into Denver and driving a rental car to Moab while you guys are there. Could always either ride with someone (who, me?) or rent one of those beater 80 series on the main street of Moab.

Looking forward to see what interest this post generates.

Actually to get back to the original question- if we are not doing any other long range trips this year I might have an interest in Moab. I know there are a few guys from Yankee Toys heading out there for the 2018 event. Are you thinking about attending Cruise Moab or just heading to Moab and wheel independently? Either way could/would be a blast. I would definitely not be driving out and in fact might have more interest in flying into Denver and driving a rental car to Moab while you guys are there. Could always either ride with someone (who, me?) or rent one of those beater 80 series on the main street of Moab.

Looking forward to see what interest this post generates.

Probably get in on a group event. My brother in law @COGerding and I are not sure what we want to do, just that we want to go sooner rather than later. My personal trip idea would be to drive out from PA to Moab, then fly home and leave my rig at the in laws in Denver. Then fly back out for HIH8 and once that's over, drive my rig back to PA.

Does anyone have any opinions on what Moab events are best?

I've only wheeled Moab during the CM event and it was pretty well run. A great experience indeed if it is new to you. On our trip last year we got there on Monday and were able to run trails before the actual event started- this only because our path crossed with that of Robbie, an interesting and knowledgeable bar owner from Park City. He took us out the first two days before CM started and it worked out great. The four days or scheduled CM trail rides were very well orchestrated in my humble opinion. All in all it worked out be a perfect wheeling trip. We were the rowdiest crew in the campground- by far I'd say- and actually attracted some other interesting participants.

Thanks for the input, I will check that out.

I thought it was the tequila and pickle juice.

Took @TRFCSUX and I 3 days driving 10-12 hours a day @ 70 MPH to get there by 3:00 in the afternoon. We may have been able to do it in less time but then you are beat when you get there and may not enjoy it as much.

OK, I'm the weirdo,, I actually like Kansas, really well. Get off the Interstate and take the byways all the way from Kansa City through Colorado and into Moab. Then it becomes 4 days of exploring on the way there and on the way back. 8 days of meandering back and forth and 6 to 7 days of wheelin, hiking and camping =s a great Moab trip taken during a 2 week vacation slot. I get the working thing though, in a previous life I ran my own business and simply did not have that kind of time so I would have been shipping equipment as well.
If you stay on the interstates you can do it easily in 3 says and be in Moab at camp by mid afternoon. Cost in petro, roughly 1,000 @ 12mpg and 2.75 a gallon. The worst part of the entire trip? The final 600 miles home sucks. It is just flat out grueling from Indianapolis to home. I may be in if it is early enough in the spring, April, before or after EJS. In my humble opinion April and late October/early November are the very best times to be there. Too many people in May, and too damned hot from then till mid September. We keep threatening ourselves to go for Christmas in a tent at least once. I wander, sorry... It can be done on the cheap for around 2,000 for 2 weeks out, depending on how much you might like hotels, restaurants, and top shelf booze, so we always end up spending more. More to the point,, throw me a bone here,,, Kokopelli trail would get my blood going, topped off with a jaunt from Moab down to Mexican Hat. Crapola, the more I think about this the more I am in. Jeeze I miss that region.

Yes it takes 3 days (a bit more for me from VT) and agree you don't want to arrive in Moab exhausted because you'll be full-throttle adrenaline the whole time you're there. I've been driving out every July for three years, with no plan to stop. Enjoy the long distance drive and I love Moab in July....hot but no humidity, and cool at night so not really a big deal. Campgrounds are empty. Hotel rooms abound. And so much less trail traffic! I hear nightmare stories about Easter Heep Jamboree, and the throngs of rigs clogging all the popular trails, taking over the town... Another benefit is the group of Toyotas (mostly FJs) I wheel with, such great people, and maybe only half of them leave early for Ouray and FJ Cruiser Summit. So what began as a few days of light wheelin in Moab pre-Summit has become a week-long event in its own right, and all are welcome.

I'm in for Cruise Moab in May!!

Suggestions, comments, advice? Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom