Missing MAF ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear all,

This is my first post. I live in Qatar and I just bought my first Toyota, a gorgeous 2001 LC, 50th anniversary, with 540k km on the clock. The car runs pretty well despite the high mileage. In fact, it was the best LC I tested and inspected when I was looking around. Most of the LCs here in Middle-East have had a rough life (Dune bashing, weather, etc). This one looks, in overall, ok. I had always dreamed with owning a LC, so I don't care if it is an old-grumpy one :)

After reading several posts here I understand that, in Middle-East, the 2001 LCs here came with the 1FZ-FE engine, and in other parts of the world they came with a different. This makes my truck closer to the series 80 in terms of engine, correct?

Now, my question is about the MAF sensor. Recently one friend of mine took a look at the engine and noticed that the MAF sensor is unplugged. He hypothesized that it was disconnected by one of the previous owners because it was malfunctioning. I can see some disconnected cables in some places.

- Is it common to find a LC with a missing or disconnected MAF?

- Does it make sense to make an effort to replace it (if it doesn't work) or plug it back? Would it make a big improvement to the engine?

- I do notice that the vehicle slacks off from 0-60km/h, and occasionally some exhaust smell in the interior, could this be due to the MAF sensor?

- If in fact the sensor is not working, why the engine light is not on?

I'm sorry of some of the questions has already been answered in this forum. I did my best to search but I couldn't find precise answers.

Thanks!

-No it's not common they come with sensors from the factory for a reason which is to meter the amount of fuel to air ratio in your engine.
-Yes
-
Your engine is running very rich and probably getting low power and bad gas mileage
- Don't know maybe the bulb burnt out it's been on that long :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom