Minor mod questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Longtime lurker first time poster.

Driving a new to me 2015 LC. So far stock.

What are you folks' opinion on line-x under coating?
I've been quoted $599+tax. Worth it?

What's the opinion on bug deflectors?
Do the mounting brackets trap dirt and leave marks in the paint?

I have a few rock chips in the hood and I've been quoted $700 to fix and re-paint.
Wondering if a bug deflector is one way to avoid a repeat... Thoughts?

I had a bug deflector on two of my vehicles (Tundra and 4Runner), people think they're tacky but I dig them. They definitely saved the hood from highway rocks a few times.

I think I remember seeing a dude with a white 200 on here with one, can't remember the name though.

Linex, no idea. I hear it's tough stuff. But if you want rust protection just blast the undercarriage with Fluid Film a couple times per year.

Last edited:
$700 is crazy to fix some rock chips. I suggest getting yourself some OEM touch up paint and clear coat for about $15-20 on eBay.

I recently treated the undercarriage with VHT Rust Converter (great product - used in this case as a rust preventative), Fluid Film, let it dry, and sealed it up with Plasti Dip, which remains flexible around any bolts and moving points and can be removed if necessary. What I don't want is to seal rust in (or have rust develop somewhere) and not be able to check it. After all, it can rust right through the factory coating. This will let me keep tabs on it. Never tried this specific combination before but both the VHT Rust Converter and Fluid Film are excellent products. I will keep an eye on it and see how it works, and it was well under 50 bucks.

Where exactly would the LineX go? I'm thinking that wouldn't be very friendly for maintenance or mods later down the road unless you're just talking wheel wells or something. Fluid Film is a much better option for rust.

Exactly why Fluid Film is better than something like POR-15, which will be a nightmare to remove. The Fluid Film (and VHT) can be applied anywhere.

Personal preference but I'm not a bug deflector fan myself. Reminds me of the days that my grandfather put one on every vehicle he drove including a Chevy Lumina. If I had to have one I would look at www.xpel.com first. Won't do much for your existing chips but works very well at preventing new ones.

Wow. You guys are awesome. Thanks for the advice.

Yea $700 to fix the chips is steep. For that price the body shop intended on sanding, filling in the chips, and painting the whole hood. I did get them touched up so the metal isn't exposed. But you can still see them... Eh these things were meant to be used. Par for the course I guess...

The Line-X would be the entire under-carriage. But you're right about that getting in the way of mods later. I will look into Fluid Film.

Good tip on the Xpel. I will look into that too.

Wow. You guys are awesome. Thanks for the advice.

Yea $700 to fix the chips is steep. For that price the body shop intended on sanding, filling in the chips, and painting the whole hood. I did get them touched up so the metal isn't exposed. But you can still see them... Eh these things were meant to be used. Par for the course I guess...

The Line-X would be the entire under-carriage. But you're right about that getting in the way of mods later. I will look into Fluid Film.

Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

I've used their product on several vehicles. With proper application it turns out damn decent.

...I did get them touched up so the metal isn't exposed. But you can still see them... Eh these things were meant to be used. Par for the course I guess...

I went with an Xpel competitor's product (Llumar Platinum PPF) on our '17 200 TLC, but I don't know that I would put film down over paint chip repairs. My guess (and that's all it is) is that chip repairs don't adhere as well as OEM paint, and if you decided later to remove the film it would pull off the chip repairs and maybe even more of the original finish.

Yeah at the dealer they were offering plastic film. But with the chips, I too, didn't think it made sense without addressing those first. That's where they introduced me to their body shop and the $700 to fix it. For free they touched them up, which was good of them.

I've had the LC for a few months. Used with less than 8k on the clock, good deal, you know the drill. But I tend to get restless. I have history of not keeping vehicles more than one-two years. I'd like to change that but so far no go. Knowing this about myself I've been hesitant to change anything on it. But I'm considering and hoping that I will keep this one longer than usual. We'll see how much willpower I'll have when the manufacturers release their 2018 models...

Buy the touch up paint- fix the chips- put the $700 to work on something different.

I don't know about the line-x undercoat either. There are other applications for undercarriage treatment that are far less expensive- but I would assume Line-x would be best. I just use the Rustoliuem stuff and go under the truck twice a year or so and touch up. It's an excuse to climb under the truck.

So now that you saved $1,300- imagine what you can do then!

- Line-X on the body
- Aux Lights
- Aftermarket bumper
- Snorkel
- Lift?

Line-X the body or the frame? I don't see how you could do the body well without removing the body ($$$$) and I don't see it being needed anyways. Line-x of the frame is a horrible idea. If it separates anywhere it will just trap water against the metal making things infinitely worse with no way of knowing until it completely rusts out.

Periodic application of fluid film or blaster corrosion stop will do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom