Military Cooler - Console? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a cool idea and looks like it fits good!
From my experience everything that came out of them I ate was served hot never cold.:hillbilly:

Dang, now that I think about it I may have one of them at my mom's in the shed if i can remember correctly...:hmm:

Thanks for the feedback on this guys. As Randy and Wile say it's probably not the first choice, but this mod is coming in at $32 (little more with straps & hardware) which might be a good addition to the below $50 thread.

I don't really see myself serving green eggs or hot dogs out of the cruiser, so I think cold bevs are more appropriate. The guy at the surplus said that people use them for keeping the beers cold. :beer:

I'll drive around for a little while without it strapped in. It's pretty heavy for it's size and it won't bounce around. I'll keep you guys posted on the pros and cons.

There is a substantial lip around the bottom of it that could be used to bolt it down or perhaps receive a plate to center and level it.

From the looks of it there is like a 30mm gap between the outer case and the inner compartment which is most likely filled withe some foam material. I'm sure you could drill and rivet to the exterior without causing any leaks or compromising function.

They're double walled, and if I remember correctly, there's a lip around the bottom. Either aspect could lend itself to bolt-down sorts of attachments. Might be possible to rivet to the exterior wall, not compromising the interior, and you wouldn't have to worry about straps.

Switzer Arms Gun Shop
137 Main Street, Milford, OH
(513) 965-8000‎

This guy has two more of them but I got the best of the three. He has one in his window display which looked to be in fair shape, the third one was really beat up. If anyone wants me to get them and ship it out, let me know.

Just got back from driving around with this thing in the truck. I used some bungees to hold it in place. In the front there are some threaded holes where I could put a bolt in to hold the bungee. Both me and the wife are happy with this mod. She was able to hide her purse in it and the comfort level in the cruiser just got higher.

Shifting is best with the arm on top and steering with your arm on it is very comfortable. From the side it's easy for 1-3, but 4 is a little tight and I would catch my hand on the handle tabs that stick out. I will move it back a little to help with that.

Just got back from driving around with this thing in the truck. I used some bungees to hold it in place. In the front there are some threaded holes where I could put a bolt in to hold the bungee. Both me and the wife are happy with this mod. She was able to hide her purse in it and the comfort level in the cruiser just got higher.

Then you're obviously not carrying enough beer! :beer::beer:

hot "chow" in the field....well made and tough. When its 20F and they have hot food.... now you just need a duce & 1/2 or 5ton to pull you MKT. I think the 50 CAL or larger Ammo can might be a good choice too. Some of those tube (howtzer rounds) storge things with the screw down lids would make a good thing for water-tight storage.

Oh I remember pulling KP and having to clean 100's of those things....boy what fun that was! The DS and I did not see "eye-to-eye" and I was the looser :)

I can see it for food storage in the back, but woud have to say I think it's too big for a console. The Tuffy is just too perfect for that, although it is spendy.

I would want to move it back out of the way of the shifter, but that might conflict with folding the rear seat forward maybe?

Do you guys know if you can comfortably hold the steering wheel and shift with your arm on the tuffy?

After driving around with it I find that it's really very comfortable. The width is right for two people. I had to move it back about two inches to open up the space between the shifter when in 4th. If you move it back any further then it would hit the rear seat, but probably wouldn't inhibit it from folding down.

great idea. I've been thinking about that for about a year now and now that I see it I think that it looks pretty nice. Thanks for the inspiration to go out and get an ammo can and getting this started for my rig.

Do you guys know if you can comfortably hold the steering wheel and shift with your arm on the tuffy?

After driving around with it I find that it's really very comfortable. The width is right for two people. I had to move it back about two inches to open up the space between the shifter when in 4th. If you move it back any further then it would hit the rear seat, but probably wouldn't inhibit it from folding down.

Tuffy is too low for me to keep my arm on, but I am 6'2" and put new foam in the seats that raised them a little. The tuffy is great for most of passengers. I also think that since it needs to be mounted away from the driver to clear the Parking brake that affects the comfort level.

Thanks for the feedback on this guys. As Randy and Wile say it's probably not the first choice, but this mod is coming in at $32 (little more with straps & hardware) which might be a good addition to the below $50 thread.

I don't really see myself serving green eggs or hot dogs out of the cruiser, so I think cold bevs are more appropriate. The guy at the surplus said that people use them for keeping the beers cold. :beer:

A tuffy from ccot wont chill your beer :hmm:and will tackle the wallet about $300 more than this ........................................:eek:

Looks as tough as a cruiser!

I just got done driving the whole way home with my arm on the thing...can steer and shift with comfort. I'll get another perspective with the camera tonight.

Tuffy is too low for me to keep my arm on, but I am 6'2" and put new foam in the seats that raised them a little. The tuffy is great for most of passengers. I also think that since it needs to be mounted away from the driver to clear the Parking brake that affects the comfort level.

Here's a pic from above

CONSOLE_5.JPG
CONSOLE_5.JPG

this give me a great idea, gonna find me one, we get them all the time at work so i should be able to find some sort of ammo can that will fit my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom